Sign in to follow this  
pet73r

boost return system - explanation needed

:help:

What does this system do? What are the pros/cons of deleting it?

When on idle, should there be any boost coming from the return?

What are other people running??

This is my set up ......

Boost return Blanking plate. With a sawn off standard boost return pipe using a small cotton filter at the end.

DSC_3586.jpg

DSC_3583.jpg

DSC_3580.jpg

DSC_3582.jpg

DSC_3580.jpg

Sorry about the dark photos! Gets dark too early these days!! :(

Ive used this system so I can retain the oil breather and isv pipe connections. My mate did it for me last night, went up his house for a door handle surround, he ended up doing this because he wanted to make 'the G whistle' haha. Cheers ravs :clap:

Anyway, I havnt really noticed it being any louder a 'whoosh' than before, maybe its slightly louder but not that noticeable! Is there a reason for this? Is the standard boost pipe Im using acting like a silencer? Would I have more of a sound if I didn't use it and had no pipe?

I have boost coming from this pipe even from idle... is that right?

Just wondered if anyone else fancied posting some pictures and a little description of it and why they chose it of what they are running in regards to 'boost return deletion'

Look forward to some replies!!

Here you go mate...http://www.volksdevil.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=250

And yep, you should have excess boost coming from the bottom of the throttle body, it will be quiet as you have left the plastic pipe on there.

The idea behind removing the return is that it stops already circulated boost entering back into the charger. Obviously it's 'warmed' as it's been forced through the charger etc and warm isn't what we want for power. The difference is extremely minimal in all honesty, it's just one of those things to do with other tweaks really.

Neil.

the recirc pipe has two functions:-

1)reduce noise by venting excess boost back to the charger

2)a means of getting crankcase gases into intake system

a G60 is whats called positive-displacement type.Basically it means this charger is always developing more boost than the engine can use(upto a certain point where the charger cant flow anymore air than it can pump ie high rpms) on idle and part throttle the engine cant use all the boost so it uses a bypass valve to vent the excess boost created by the supercharger back into the charger.this charged air is hot.not good for engine or power.Venting boost with the pipe off will get give you the characteristic whoosh on closing the throttle when building the boost but it vents boost nearly all the time apart from full throttle.Listening to the venting of this boost for 8 hours does get pretty annoying (a bit like having a loud exhaust drone for 8 hours) so yes you will be getting boost venting on idle

For preformance wise,you dont gain much but on hotter weather your charger will run cooler extending its life and your charge temps will drop,lessing power reduction (knock sensor detecting detonation).

Personal from owning G60s for 8 years, you want recirc pipe on for the winter as itll warm your engine up quicker(tried and tested) and youll use less fuel warming it up.

the age old argument about lubruction of the charger still goes on but my friends near wolfsburg knows one of the developers of the g60 charger and he said it was not intended to be lubed by engine oil mist or crankcase vapour(hence added a heater to the breather pipe) This is why the seals have a finite life and shrink in time

its just upto you how you feel youd live with it or without it

hope clears things up

the age old argument about lubruction of the charger still goes on but my friends near wolfsburg knows one of the developers of the g60 charger and he said it was not intended to be lubed by engine oil mist or crankcase vapour(hence added a heater to the breather pipe) This is why the seals have a finite life and shrink in time

I'm glad to hear that as it's something i've always sided with. I could never see why a self lubricating seal (Apex strips) would need to depend on random heavy breathing from the crankcase. It's just not something that the engineers would implement and depend upon. The charger only needs an oil feed to the bearings, sod filling it with random oil mist and silly ptfe spray!