Sign in to follow this  
krishen

Power steering on the way out???

How do you know if the power steering pump is on the way out?

I started the vr today for the first time in 2 weeks and as i turned the steering wheel there was a pretty bad whining/squealing noise. After a 20 min drive the noise is still there. Only happens when i turn the wheel. If i turn the steering wheel even half a cm the noise is there and if i hold it in that position the noise stay unless i let go of the wheel.

Too dark and cold to check the fluid now but will do in the morning.

Cheers

Maybe the belt? I knew my power steering was on it's way out when the wheel used to get really heavy all of a sudden then back to normal.

mine use to do exactly what you have described, adjusted the belt and all was fine, wasn't a self adjusting belt on the g60, not sure about vr, :?

Have just checked the fluid. It is a little below the min level but you can still see it in the container.

How easy/hard is it to adjust the belt?

And if i drive it as it is currently, not going to damage anything am i (apart from maybe the belt)?

The belt is on a self tensioning installation. Check the condition of the belt. The alternative is the steering pump has become harder to drive. So it may still be the pump.

VR6 Water Pump Change 16AUG05 - 05a.jpg[/attachment:ti3v0027]

To get the belt off, easier with the airbox removed. Then put a M8 x 80mm long bolt (available at B&Q warehouse stores) as shown to back off the tensioner. Screw it in until you can move the belt out off the pulleys. Just make a note of the belt routing before you take it off so as you can replace it correctly.

Then you can have a look at how "free" the pump is.

There is not *supposed* to be a bolt there. You insert a bolt in order to take the tension off the belt so you can remove it. RW1 must have taken the picture in the middle of working on it ...

Correct dr_mat, while doing the water pump.

Hadn't thought someone would look at it that way :lol:

I'll have to "improve" my instructions in future. I did say available from B&Q!

Ah ok. Just me thinking in clever (never a good idea).

Guess I'll have to check out the state of the belt.

Is it dangerous to drive? What say if the belt snapped. Would it just mean I have no power steering? Or worse?

Worse: no water pump!

Just make sure the belt is turning everything when the engine is running. If so chances are it's just slipping on the PAS pump pulley or it's the pump internals squealing and it's unlikely to cause any other problems. Just keep an eye on it. At this time of year you're probably driving in the dark a lot so you'll know if the belt snaps/stops - one is the noise stops and the steering gets VERY heavy, but also the lights will go dimmer (yes, that's actually possible .. !).

Another possible culprit is the tensioner itself - they squeal when the bearings are going - but obviously it's less likely that would coincide with you loading the steering up.

Belt Snapping Menu

Starters: Weetabix, eat at least 3 biscuits. You'll need some muscles.

Main: Pack a spare set of undies, you'll need them when that belt snaps on a sharpish bend at speed and the steering goes heavy.

Dessert: Face wipes, to cool off after the event.

Seriously though, whilst dr_mat has given you all the possibilities the snapping belt will disable, ....where is the actual noise coming from on the right side of the engine?

Looking at the engine right side face on, .....over the right hand wing.

Water Pump - Middle height towards the rear

Tensioner bearing - Top near "that" M8 bolt in the photo.

Alternator - front middle height.

Steering Pump - Bottom low down front of engine

All pulleys at these points turning in relative speed to the passing belt?