Sign in to follow this  
Reggit

MOT passed, but a couple of advisories

Just had the car in for the MOT and it passed - but with a couple of minor advisories that I'll attend to when it isn't so cold outside.

Looking for pointers on this one: ' Macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment' - Is this likely to be a bush worn on the suspension?

Also had the garage do an oil change - either I'm getting lazy in my old age or it's to blooming cold to do it myself! I was amazed how quiet the engine is running now, hadn't realised how the tappet noise gradually builds up approaching oil change time.

Top mounts worn - serivce life on these is around 60k

If you notice a difference after an oil change then there is somethign wrong - either oil they used is too heavy or you're not changing it reguarly enough

Looking for pointers on this one: ' Macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment' - Is this likely to be a bush worn on the suspension?

I've had this in the past with perfectly good top mounts. If its slight and in the vertical direction, then they are normal. Some MoT testers don't like it and think it should be solid. My test it came up in was 1999 with it, different testers since. Not a comment and still have the same top mounts fitted. Unfortunately now, MoT's have history on-line.

I've had two MOT's done in a row by the same tester, first year he gave the same advisory as you got, second nothing. Only a month after the second MOT they started clunking horribly at low speeds and were buggered.

Top mounts worn - serivce life on these is around 60k

If you notice a difference after an oil change then there is somethign wrong - either oil they used is too heavy or you're not changing it reguarly enough

They used a lighter oil (10w40) than I previously used (10w50) - so I guess that could explain it - the thicker oil not filling the tappets fully? It's only done 5-6k since the last change so I don't think it was overdue. Something to keep an eye on though.

As to the top mounts, I'll change them when it's warm enough to wield some spanners as they are somewhat over 60k and I can't see a record of them being done previously in it's history.