Sign in to follow this  
rubberdubber

Timing marks

Hi all

Been doing the timing belt on my 1.8 kr, when I line the timing Mark up on the flywheel, looking through the inspection hole. The Mark on the cam pulley isn't perfectly lined up, about 1.5mm out, the arrow on the rocker cover is pointing at the edge of the tooth with the Mark as opposed to the centre. Anything to worry about? I've tried moving it but can't get it any closer than this, it runs fine and is doing 30+ mpg, wonder if it's just where the rocker covers bin off in the past.

if its running fine i wouldnt worry about it. There was discussion about the timing belt on the g60 with the rocker cover gasket needed to be on to check the timing or the timing was out. ive done the timing belt like you and like you ive also encountered this problem.What also comes into account is if the head has been skimmed?how much the last guy tightened the rocker gasket upto?there are lots of little things that add up that isnt taking into account when manuals are made