Sign in to follow this  
4eyes2wheels

Age v Miles

Thoughts please people.

The Mrs has seen the light and is part exchanging the 3 series convertible against an R32 :clap: . Looks like my Jedi mind tricks have started to work.

There are a fair few about including

57 plate with 70k

58 plate with 48k

56 plate with 30k

Similar spec, FVWSH, condition about the same, prices fairly close too and not an issue.

:shrug:

IMO age is more of a car-killer than mileage. However, if the oldest car you're looking at is a 2006 then I'm not sure that's even an issue.

Assuming they are all colour combinations that you like and the condition, service history, and trim levels are similar then the 58 with 48k seems the one to me.

Id go on condition rather mileage. Low miles is only better when it comes to resale and if you get it cheaper in the first place with high mileage it should work out the same.

Might be worth checking that the 58/48k isn't ude anything big at 50k miles service. Don't think they are but worth a check.

Thanks people - I suspect it will go down to colour. The blue or black being preferred to the battle ship grey. Which is a shame as there is a very clean DSG model in grey.

Hi mate it depends on what sort of mileage its done, eg. local town driving, school runs with kids opening closing door windows grubby seats vs motorway single person driving but this would have stonechips. I would personally get newer over mileage provided its been serviced properly and it also depends how long you want to keep the car for if you dont plan to keep it for long or you might get bored better to stick for lower mileage as it would be easier to sell.

I would like to say that this car would be a keeper but in the last 20 years she has had about 15 cars. I'm not sure what you would move to from an R32 though.

The idea of a bit of remaining manufacturers warranty is attractive.

Decisions, decisions!

Not wishing to teach anyone to suck eggs..... but......

Be very aware of mileage displays on modern digital dash cars..... alarmingly easy to change and knock 30-40k off the clock and it takes seconds. So make sure the mileage is backed up by history etc.

Also be aware of chain noise which is very obvious on R32 engines, thrashed from cold engines tend to rattle and shouldn't.

......my 2p.

Good luck with it Jon, awesome car the mk5 R32 :lol:

That's scarey - but yes the history will be looked at carefully. Chains - yikes, the very mention of the word makes my wallet cringe :eek:

At least I know where to bring it for servicing and a remap Dave :norty:

Yep - If it's that new though VW should have all the info so cross reference any service history with a VW dealer (dialogue check)

I looked at a 57 plate polo the other day on 11k miles - good deal I thought until the check came back with 28k miles (!!!) at the last service 3 months ago, looks like it was taken in by a VW dealer, serviced and then sent to auction.

Good point about cross checking the service history with VW. There was a Storm for sale a while back with around 110k on it but with some gaps in the history. I didn't go to see it but just did a quick check with VW and the last VW service was when it was 2 years old and it had already done over 60k in those two years. It didn't make sense to me that it had then only done about 50k in the following 13 years. It's possible of course, but unlikely.

Some of the original options have been rejected, wrong colour, new clutch being fitted, it's already been sold etc

But today the Mrs signed the paperwork for a 56 plate, 40k FVWSH including haldex just done, new tyres all round, parking sensors, heated leather seats . . . . can't wait until we erm I mean she can pick it up! :clap: