Sign in to follow this  
AlgarveVR6

Engine Swap

Ok, got to swap my engines next month.

Looking for tips, helpful advice, things to do, not to do

Its a VR6 dizzy at the moment, and putting in a VR6 coil pack.

Is it best to remove wings and front valance etc.

Will the engine just slide forward if I do.

Is it better to lift it, or any ideas

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks everyone

Dic :D

its fairly straight forward. Remove the front end ie bumper rad and slam panel. disconnect all pipes and wires and driveshafts fro the box. Engine will slide out of the front, no need to lift the car or move it.

Only tips I can think of is that the power steering sysem can be left all connected, saves on bleeding the systems later on. so remove the PS pump from the block and route the pipes out of the way during the swaps.

Gearbox can stay on the engine block during the removal, makes its allot easier to change the box off the car than on!

No need to remove wings.

No idea how straight forward a dizzy to coilpack conversion is, but I would presume the looms will need changing? if so change the looms while the engine is out.

When refitting the engine, place on the engine mounts but dont torque down the bolts, just finger tight. Start up the engine (once all plumbed up etc) to allow the engine to settle into position, then switch off and torque all mounts up.

good luck

If your confident with vr6 engine timing you can simply swap engine looms, and ecus, swap the end plate that the dizzy/coilpack bolts to and swap cams, this way your engine can stay sat were it is an should only take half a day, you will need help getting the loom past the bulkhead.

Otherwise just swap the whole lot As you plan following the steps in the above posts

thanks quicky you make it sound so easy

Erny, it's the other engine I want in my car, so not really necessary to leave engine in

many thanks chaps

will maybe take some pics too

:help:

Small tip that will save you so much hassle and time when removing and refitting the driveshafts.

Buy a driveshaft removal tool from ebay or wherever. It's simply an extra long spline (M10) allen style shaft that you can fit onto a rachet. The subframe/engine mounts and calipers are designed in such a way that you can loosen the bolts with only the wheel off and without even going under the car.

Something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laser-2897-Spline ... 2a089421bd .

It's worth every penny.

thanks Jamie

Just ordered one now and they can post here too.

Bonus. Any more tips appreciated. Not done engine swap on this before

Thanks

Good luck! It's actually not too hard once you get your head around it and realise it's just a big mecanno set.

If you want I could list through the tasks and suggest an order to help get you started? Wouldn't be comprehensive, but hopefully cover most things. It's always easier if you know roughly what to be doing, rather than have to start from scratch. Let me know if that'd help,

J

I now know why I use these forums.

It's people like you who make it worth while

The list would be fab

If you ever come to the algarve then there would of course be the obligatory case of beer for you

Cheers Jamie

ooooooooooo soooooooooooooooooo happy

running well, pulling like a train and sounding like only a vr6 on full chat can.

few things to finish like internal panels and swapping rear seats.

sunday is polish day.......

:clap: :clap: