Critical_Mass

Lupo - misfire.

weeeyheey got it started.

Though i over looked something. :oops:

I tried starting it today and it would fire but die straight away. When the RAC bloke came he noticed one of the HT leads had come off the plug :oops: Though im sure it was connected correctly - apparently it would have lost 2 cylinders not just the one if a HT leads has come off. It fired up and was really lumpy would barely idle. Found one of the vacuum pipes although connected, wasnt tight enough.

So although the sparkplugs were knackered and needed replacing, it was my own fault i couldnt get it started afterwards. Though i dont mind so much as at least its sorted. Gonna take it for a drive. Though there's still the issue of the temp sensor. Will have to scan it again.

Thanks for the help James :D :clap:

OK, spoke a little too soon. It does run where as before it didnt. However its still misfiring. Im guessing this coolant temp sensor fault could be the problem? (signal too high)

The coolant sensor wont cause it to misfire,i would tho double check for vacuum leaks.....when you say misfire,does it do it on idle or hesitation when driving?

I got to the end of the street and just down the road it was fine. But now it hesitates when driving and it idles rubbish. It did this whilst the RAC bloke was here, but theres a vacuum pipe top right of the engine just between it and the suspension turrent (see pic Easypops posted). I knew about this, but its not a secure connection, its one of those pipes that just pushes onto the other pipe, not clip or anything. He made sure it was on correctly and it ran fine. I took another look (best i could with only street lights for illumination) and it looked ok. But there is a slight hiss coming from there. I may go get a jubilee clip to ensure its tight.

I'll have to take another look tomorrow after work if its not too dark.

Not sure how/why its leaking though, the pipe is connected as far on as it will go. Jubilee clip it is.

Just when i thought the issue was sorted. :lol:

Its no. 2 on the pic which seems to be the problem area. Though the etka pic is inaccurate as it doesnt connect to the breather box at the front left, it connects rear left. Front right is the air intake.

Well took another look today and found a split pipe (see no. 9 on the above pic). Taped it up as a temporary measure and now although its now running better, it revs fine and when you drive it, it drives reasonably ok. But its the idle thats the issue, its idling cr@p. Could this just be the idle valve?

As for the pipe i spoke about before, couldnt quite get to it. Its a bugger even from underneath the car. Though now, im not 100% convinced thats an issue, but i cant quite see if there is a slight hole in the pipe. Ive tried to tape it up with some electrical tape, again as a temporary measure until i can get it replaced - looks as though its been rubbing on a near by bracket, but cant see if theres an actual hole.

i would clean out the throttle body,they have no idle valve,the throttle controls the idle,when the small air gap gets clogged up or reduced it will idle poor,also the air leak wont help :tongue:

I have the same prob with my uther halfs 1.0 Lupo the plugs have to be bosh and the leads have to be dealer to and make shore u check the compression it's a commen prob the engine gets I little tappy and it's the tapetts and the rockers I have the engine out at the mo and I replacing the rockers good luck.

Regards Adam

They HAVE to be Bosch? All i could get at the time where Champions (i know :? ), don fancy having to splash out more cash on another set of plugs. Plus im not convinced changing the plugs will cure the problem.

Right the saga continues :lol:

Well after taking some advise my next step is to fix the flexi joint which is leaking. I knew this was leaking before, but as the Lupo's Lambda is literally just after the engine on the exhaust manifold i did think it would be having much of an affect. However i found out today that the Lupo has 2 cats and 2 lambdas! :cuckoo: :shrug:

There is a cat 'built into' the exhaust manifold where the first lambda sits. Then the down pipe which goes under the engine from the front. There is then a flexi pipe connected to the second cat where there is a second lambda. Apparently this set up is on some Golfs also, but i have no idea why a 1 litre lupo has 2 cats and 2 lambdas. Anyway i will be getting a new flexi pipe and getting it welded in to replace the knackered one.

Anyone know the internal diameter of the flexi joint on a lupo? :lol:

Easypops does your autodata have any info on their?

Flexi joint on order and will be welded to the existing cat and downpipe. New centre exhaust and back box as that had a hole in the centre box and the tail pipe of the back box was rotten. Hopefully the misfire will be sorted, the exhaust needed replacing anyway.

Right guys, still having issues. Fitted new exhaust along with new flexi joint welded in. Its better but still misfiring. Idle is terrible, its lumpy and almost stalls sometimes. It seems to rev ok.

I took it for a drive round the block a few times. It seemed to be ok, apart from when i got to a junction and dipped the clutch - the misfire seemed to come back, but once the revs picked up it seemed ok. Then on the 3rd time round the block i wass doing about 30 and i pressed the throttle more, the car lost power, the revs wouldnt rise and engine management light flashed. A bit further down the road the light went off and it picked up again. So i went round again and again loss of power, revs not wanting to increase and light came on. This time i had to stop as the car wasnt going anywhere.

I scanned the car again when i got home and it came up with "random multiple misfire" and "cylinder 2 misfire, cylinder 3 misfire" - note, its always 2 and 3.

What can i look at next, i hear the EGV valve can be a problem.

Really need this sorted cos i start a new job and need my car back as the gf is using it whilst i get her car sorted.

Sorry Adam, ive just seen you post :o The thing is, they were NGK plugs that were in it before. I have champions in now - all i could get. The leads are from GCP and was told they were genuine.

Got it sorted!!! woohoo!!!!!!

Was a simple fix too. Well yesterday i took out the sh!te chamion plugs and replaced them with Bosch, it made an improvement, the car revved fine and could be driven. Though, it hesitated and at idle it was a little lumpy. After scanning the car and through talk with my trusted mechanic, it was thought that cylinder 2 was the one that had the problem. I was advised to pull HT lead from cylinder 2 whilst it was idling. It made no difference to how the car idled but i did see it sparking.

On the off chance, before getting a compression test done, i put the previous HT leads on and BINGO, car now running fine. It would appear the new set of HT leads i got from ECP, one of them was duff.

So i'm going to go back to ECP and see if they'll give me a refund - what are my chances?