Sign in to follow this  
sixpotter

Which bolts for FK adapters, Merc wheels

Have a 2 sets of 5x100 - 5x112 adapters (15 and 25mm) for my VR and a lovely set of old Merc SL Monoblock type wheels to go on, finally. Only problem is the Mercedes wheel bolts ive aquired do not screw in to the adapters the thread is too thin. The original VW bolts screw in and don't go through the hole in the wheels due to some kind of sleeve which I'm not sure is part of the wheel after attempting to knock out?

Bought the longer Merc wheel bolts of Stueyb though I think he ran H&R adapters - could they have different threads? I was advised I would need these longer bolts.

So who is running Merc wheels on a vr and how have you done it please :cuckoo:

dunno if it is much help mate, i have fk adaptors with porsche rims and all i know is my bolts are off a newish audi. The tyre place called them "new style" wheel bolts and grabbed some straight out a box.

Best bet for definite is to try your local tyre place bud.

Sorry for the vague answer :)

Banan0r that looks possible though I would rather not have another seperate piece to worry about tightening.

The only thing I can see i've done is order the wrong size adapters is 5x112 Audi and Mercedes but with different sized bolt holes? I may have bought the Audi type ones? Nobody ever mentions this in any advert it seems and I've had mine for about a year so will have to sell them on I guess..

So close to new wheels finally on I thought I was :-(

Cool, I have the longer bolts just they are too small for the threads and too long for my 15mm front adapters.. think Im going to need 20mm at least anyway or get someone to take the ends off the bolts.

The wheels I have are below:

jetta.jpg

...so it can be done I just appear to have ballsed up adapter sizes presuming there are 2 types of the same adapter?

Some older Mercs used M12x1.5 wheel bolts whereas the modern VAG cars use M14x1.5 bolts. I guess you have got an old set of wheels with M12 holes and bolts which is why the bolts do not fit the adapters and the M14 bolts do not go through the wheels. The simple solution is to have the holes in the wheels opened out to fit the M14 bolts which will fit the adapters. Be sure to use bolts with the correct shape of seat to match the holes in the wheels.

Thanks for your replies, going to just sell the current adapters and wait until I find some cheap ones with m12 threads, don't really want the hassle of getting them drilled out and then finding the right type of bolts.

The fronts I have are 15mm and too narrow for the long Merc bolts anyway, I would have had my front wheels locked with anything less than 20mm...

Still, lesson to be learned is either:

Measure and try and trial fit everything first or keep the bloody thing standard!

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure if there are adapters available which have both the M14 holes for the VW hub (in 5x100) and M12 holes for the merc? (5x112).

I was close to getting some merc wheels a while back before the seller let me down...after scouring through various forums it seemed that drilling the alloys bolt holes out to 14 was the most common solution. Some used stud conversions like those in the link I sent you although I'm not sure which one you would go for.

Local machine shop quoted me £10 per wheel, although it seems that some people just did it themselves with a drill bit :nuts:

In a way I'm glad that the seller let me down...the wheels I ordered were 16x8J ET34 :shock: with the adapters it would have been painful :lol:

The wheels in the pic look great though, if I were you I'd bite the bullet and get them holes opened up!

Nick