Sign in to follow this  
iain stevenson

8v head to 16v head?

It is a straight swap in terms of bolt pattern, oil ways and coolant channels. Beyond this things are different, but all readily adaptable. The cam belt is wider for the 16V, so you will require all the 16V cam belt pulleys. The distributor fitment in the 8V block will need to be plugged. The 16V coolant outlet on the front of the head will require different hose alignment, and so on. As to which head to use it all depends upon what you wish to achieve by this mod'. On my 16VG60 engine I use a much modified KR head, fashion of late has made the ABF heads very popular. Hope this is of assistance to you.

I'm pretty sure that 16v head on a 8v block gives you low compression, which means it would be shit naturally aspirated, but ready to go for forced induction, (maybe be wrong and what I said above only applys to certain 8v blocks)

Sorry my detail was not as full as possibly required, I was trying to avoid writing an essay. Clearly a mod of this kind will involve a complete rebuild of the engineering to allow compression ratio correction and clearancing. After having seen that you own a G60 Iain your proposal would imply the building of a 16VG60, great fun but not a project for the faint hearted. As I have told so many before, this build if done properly will cost you dearly and bewider you with construction options. If you do opt this mod I can however garantee you the most amazing drive, accompanied by a sound track that would make Cerberus turn tail and run!

yeh its just an idea i was kicking about but u have kinda convinced me to go for it lol. How much are we talking if i was tgo get it done.

I was going to send my engine off to get board out to a 1.9 with forged pistons etc so i could just get that done then when the engines out the car get the 16v head fitted.

I will read up on both heads and c what i want to do lol. Would it be possible forme to come and c urs so i kinda knw what im up ageins lol.