Sign in to follow this  
bobbymkII

brake disc advice please

im currently searching the internet for new front and rear discs plus pads as doing the full lot ...car is a 1993 2.0 16v ...just looking for advice on best discs and pad set up to go for im sticking with 256mm keep it simple and there good enough...car also has abs and have noticed some rear discs for sale either come with abs ring and some dont is this needed???? please excuse my thickness on the abs things as im old skool and first car ive had with dreaded abs....

so fire away...whats ur thoughts on best disc and pad combi ....cheers in advance as away searching again

I wouldn't bother spending too much on the rears- fronts are much more important! Personally I'd go with the Brembo discs that GSF sell. Really good for the money and don't tend to warp at all. I'd go with standard or cheap-ish Pagid pads.

cheers are the gsf ones priced per disc or is that a pair???? and do i need the rear discs with abs ring or without???? forgive me but ive always driven mk2 gti's with no abs...

Pretty sure they're priced per disc. Prob best to get ABS rings as they can get damaged + you may as well change them while you're there.

cheers for info great help can now get spending...get the poor girl back on road...getting all new brakes plus lines...new windscreen..engine overhaull..new cat for m.o.t and new decat for after m.o.t been off road now for 6 months and hate just looking at it...still at least kept the miles down...lol

Just remember if your getting rear discs it makes sense to get new bearings at the same time!

Just remember if your getting rear discs it makes sense to get new bearings at the same time!

genuine bearings are the ones to for too

oh i forgot will get bearings from vw on saturday ....no no no stop i will phone tomorrow and make sure they have them then collect on saturday...heads up my backside...as desprate to get the car alive again missing it like crazy....

((mental note)) add the rear bearings to yer list numb nuts :grin: ...

cheers guys....

got front brembo and rears pagid plus front and rear pagid pads plus the abs rings for £125 all deliverd to the door...so happy with that....

just rear bearings to get and also fresh vw oil and filter and new vw antifreeze ,,,plus fit catalytic converter for m.o.t and at same time get new windscreen fitted at last and fingers crossed it passes m.o.t ,,,keep it till end of the summer then sell it me thinks as vr6 has to be next :norty:

when you get the bearings from the dealers gimme a shout how much they were bobster,hitting mine up with basically the same spec soon as ive sorted the heater matrix

will do sure there about the £20 mark ..but you never know with the local steeler and vat upto 20% still better with the vw than made in afghan by a 3 year old