Sign in to follow this  
daavid44

abf lightened flywheel?

hi just wondering if anyone could advise me on possibly fitting a lightened flywheel.

I have an abf running k jet and a polished head soon to be fitted and was thinking about getting the flywheel lightened too.

is it likely to cause problems with idling ect?

would it have to be balanced as well as lightened?

anyone have this done and what would be a sensible weight?

i'm not sure wether do do this or not as i'm a bit worried about the car being too jumpy around town ect. Any advice on this would be great! thanks!

I had a vr6 flywheel lightened and ballenced by hotgolf on clubgti, did an excellant job, cost was around 70quid, and it's almost half it's original wieght, the turn around time was quick too. it is very notice able difference, idles fine, revs up alot faster and the revs drop off just as fast, but you get used to it fairly quick, other people stall my car as there not used to revs dropping off so quick, I use the car as a daily and it's fine, I expected more of a difference in a negative way for daily driving but it's not all that differnent, I also noticed the front end of the at being lighter whilst turning corners at speed which is a bonus.

My friends mk2 8v daily has one aswel and his is fine also

ied personally recomend it

thanks for the reply m8. ive been looking into it today and havn't found anyone local who can do it for me yet. I am friendly with a local engineering shop through my work that would have no problem lightening it but getting it balanced will be the tricky bit. I think i'll try and speak to hotgolf to arrange something:) found a usefull thread for anyone else looking for info on this. :) http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1890556