Sign in to follow this  
Fulltimejunglist

Council claims.... (Pot holes)

I hit a pot hole on the first day of this year, poped my tyre and gave my wheel a little chip and it also looks as if its bent the rim a little...

Has anyone on here caimed for stuff like this and know of the way in which i am supposed to claim my money back

I know i receve a form which i fill in then send to them but does anyone know of how long it takes and if i should buy a tyre then send them the receipt for the new tyre/wheel i have had to purchase.

Im pretty sure it may also have made one of my coilies not hold any pressure..... which is annoying as this will happen alot more if this is true.

I just dont want to have to pay for something i technically already have by purchasing road tax....

Cheers people.

Aidan.

Before you do anything get back to the scene and take some decent photographs of the pot hole you hit, as well as the damage your car sustained.

Without these there is no point in going any further. Then contact the council for the forms. Remember that if they just stonewall you, you may have the option to take the council to the small claims court, especially if the pot hole had been there for a while unfixed. If it had appeared (as opposed to being dug up) in very recent history then they will attempt to defend it on the basis that it just appeared & they didn't know about it.

Sorry to hear mate, the state of the roads is horrendous. Round here they are filling them in with gravel, which isn't working at all and the ones they are filling are crumbling away again. I notice one they had filled today has already started to collapse in on itself.

But as said above, take some pics asap as they are filling these in quick time

i have noticed the shoddy repairs being made on the roads, some of the craters about are jsut stupid, are they epecting to get bogged down in claims cus id imagine their in for a ride...

Also cheers for that, i dont supose id run out of pot holes to photograph tbh, bloody thousands of them.

The roads are in such bad condition after unprecedented wintry weather up here that the AA girl on BBC Radio Scotland has started to report the worst craters individually on the M9 and M8!

The roads are in such bad condition after unprecedented wintry weather up here that the AA girl on BBC Radio Scotland has started to report the worst craters individually on the M9 and M8!

I think potholes on minor roads is to be expected and should be fixed as soon as possible, but potholes on motorways is simply unacceptable! It's lethal and they should be fixed immediately :mad:

Use our goddam road tax to fix the goddam roads!

I think potholes on minor roads is to be expected and should be fixed as soon as possible, but potholes on motorways is simply unacceptable! It's lethal and they should be fixed immediately :mad:

Use our goddam road tax to fix the goddam roads!

Ditto....doesnt bear thinking about.

You may think you've had it bad up there Iain but I'm afraid it just isn't so! I travelled up to spend Christmas/New Year with friends in Leven and I can only tell you that it was easy to tell where the England/Scotland border was. Let's just say one side of Berwick was gritted and the other side hadn't been touched.

As for the M8, there had certainly been craters but by the time I drove down it on the 5th Jan they'd all been fixed. Down here in Bournemouth there are still some monster potholes which have been untouched since before Christmas.

You've never had it so good mate :D

Im currently in the process of claiming after buckling 2 wheels and ripping my splitter off driving into what can only be described as a crater.

The procedure seems different for each council, mine has a webpage dedicated to it. They requested all my personal details, date and time of the incident, details of any witnesses, exact location of the defect, photos of the defect, and photos of the damage. Once you have all that information its basically a case of putting it together into an email/letter, sending it off and waiting.

Good luck to you though, i doubt i'll see anything but its worth a shot.

cheers mate, it is shocking tbh...

Ive had my splitter off many times, id asume theyrd bame my car for being low...

Wil give it a try though as its worth it, least its a chance at not spending oney on isfortune.

You may think you've had it bad up there Iain but I'm afraid it just isn't so! I travelled up to spend Christmas/New Year with friends in Leven and I can only tell you that it was easy to tell where the England/Scotland border was. Let's just say one side of Berwick was gritted and the other side hadn't been touched.

As for the M8, there had certainly been craters but by the time I drove down it on the 5th Jan they'd all been fixed. Down here in Bournemouth there are still some monster potholes which have been untouched since before Christmas.

You've never had it so good mate :D

You came up to Leven and never dropped in on us with an expensive Christmas prezzy? :grin: In fact no even a cheapo prezzy!!! :lol:

I made a claim successfully but it was a few years back. I got a new wheel out of them and part payment for a new tyre. It was half worn.

I think you can only guarantee success if someone else has already reported it and they haven't done anything about it.

Andy