Sign in to follow this  
carrots

NOT AGAIN

just been to town in my 1.8 16v,came out the shop to find antifreezze all over the road.i had a prob with it last summer chucking the water out.i fitted a waterpump,expansion tank and cap,radiator,thermostat,hoses and it seemed fine.the temp dont seem to be getting to hot.its starting to do my head in :(

just been to top the water up and theres more oil in the expansion tank than in the engine :(

Well there's your problem.... head gasket's gone. Dunno why though... I'd say water pump but you said you've just had that changed?

Get it down to a garage and get it skimmed.

loads of oil in expansion tank,mate said oil cooler maybe,but why would it chuck antifrezze out if its oil cooler.is the head a hard job

loads of oil in expansion tank,mate said oil cooler maybe,but why would it chuck antifrezze out if its oil cooler.is the head a hard job

head if difficult mate. Needs to be machined flat (skimmed) and you'll need new gasket and head bolts as a minimum! But that's if it is the head of course... If it is the head it could have damaged the pistons, valves or loads of stuff! Does the engine start?

yer it runs fine,its just the oil in expansion tank,and loads of it.its been skimmed b4 can you do um again

nope, can't be skimmer twice... But if it's running fine then I'd think it's more likely to be the oil cooler (heat exchanger). Not familiar to the 1.8 16V engine but i'd assume that it's like a little mocal cooler, if that went the fluid in there would go out through the bottom of the engine bay like the rad going. It'll take water from the engine coolant. Did you get steam coming up through the vents after you discovered water under the car?

if the headgasket goes it doesnt necessarily mean that the head has warped straight away so if its not been driven too far it might not need skimming.

if the headgasket goes it doesnt necessarily mean that the head has warped straight away so if its not been driven too far it might not need skimming.

You should really skim the head shouldn't you? always a good idea.... You may get away with not doing it but i thought it was good practice

Do a compression test first and see what the results are. If the head gaskets gone you'll have at least one cylinder with a low reading.

you'll need the head off to measure if it can be skimmed again, there's tolerances you can't go beyond to prevent valve/ piston clash.

priced a recon vege head just to see what it would cost £1450 ish sod that,got a new oil cooler today so going to try that 1st,they dont look to hard to fit.just hope its not the head or thats my respray money gone :(

16v heads are ten a penny on eBay, get urself sorted with one of them, a machine shop will rebuild it for a quarter the price of a vege one.

Sounds like head gasket is seeping oil into the water system and pressurising it hence the oil in the water and over flow from the expansion tank. I would deffo get a compression test completed on a warmed up engine before doing anything else.

This happend to me a couple of months ago, could not find a leak to speak of untill on the way to work

one morning, the hose feeding the oil cooler gave up, was split on the inside wall of the pipe and leaking

past the clip when hot. the outside wall of the pipe finally went revealing the fault. might be worth look and

a pressure test.