Sign in to follow this  
borders16v

Rad support/crossmembers are they all the same?

Does anyone know what crossmembers and rad supports fit what models? Im needing one for a 93k 16v,will a g60 one fit? or a 1.8 or a vr6 one?

Thanks if you can put me right and does anyone have a spare goodun :)

4 pots are the same, VR is different.

i've found a whole heap of them on ebay. Some from the Mk2 Golf will fit but be very careful as the rad support comes in PAS and non PAS ( i can elaborate if you need) but IIRC all the cross members (looks like a giant dog bone) are the same.

hope this helps,

Jon.

p.s. some pics of my ones many many pages back in the Plum thread. try an in-topic search for cross member etc.

there's also an early and late 4 cyl front cross member, the late 4cyl cars have a shield for the PAS and Alternator belt low down and only the late front beam has the bracket for supporting this, late one could be used on an early car without the shield though. Wouldn't be surprised if there are some other minor differences, nothing to stop you using them, but jsut a few niggles if you get the wrong one.

if you can find the part numbers (or get an ebay seller to check them for you) all the derivatives seem to have a different letter at the end, so are slight variations. The cross-member (under rad support panel) should all be pretty similar though as they're not related to PAS or anything, just width of the chassis rails which are same on Mk2 and Cs.

Also, Mk2 Golf parts start 191... and Corrado parts are 535... (I think)

there's also an early and late 4 cyl front cross member, the late 4cyl cars have a shield for the PAS and Alternator belt low down and only the late front beam has the bracket for supporting this, late one could be used on an early car without the shield though. Wouldn't be surprised if there are some other minor differences, nothing to stop you using them, but jsut a few niggles if you get the wrong one.

haha we found that out when you tried to bolt mine back on :lol: Tis true though, I needed one with PAS the one I got wasn't for PAS but I wasn't complaining as I didn't pay for it, I just drilled the holes in the right place, covered it in hammerite and jobs a good'un