Sign in to follow this  
Kenyon-Corrado

Newbie Seeks Advice On Lowering

Hi all

I'm very new to the world of Corrado's and for that matter driving. I know little or nothing about the technical side of things. I recently bout my first car, 2.0 8v N reg Corrado and i'm head over heels in love. I know i'll probably be looked down upon for my choice of the slower model but its all down to high insurance.

I really want to lower the car and get a set of nice golf gti mk 5 rims but if i'm right i need to be careful in what i choose.

What springs should i get?? How much can i lower without spoiling the drive?

And what do i need to take into consideration before buying rims?

Any help would be greatly appreciatied as i'm feeling a little lost at the moment due to conflicting information i've researched.

Thanks

Kenyon

the largest you can really go for is 17", 18" are too big and will make the ride absolutely terrible. 16" are the best compromise between looks and ride. Dont use lowering springs on standard shocks, uprate them both together. Have a look through the suspension thread.

Depending upon how long term you see keeping your car, it will be wise to replace the shock bushes too. Someone more knowledgable than me will be along to help you further.

All depends on your budget!

Generally i would recommend coilovers due to the level of flexibility you get from them with regards to height. there's no point in going budget though - buy cheap = buy twice.

Weitec are a good starting point, I have them on my 8v daily. KW V1's are also worth a look, although more expensive. I have them on my G60.

MK5 wheels are gonna look pretty good - there was a recent pic on here, however they will ride terribly! I really wouldn't bother with 18" wheels.

Again, as mentioned above, look into suspension bushes etc at the same time, there no point doing half a job.

It's prob worth you trying to get along to the next Bristol Meet, which will be 2nd Feb at Avonmeads.. I'd bring my 8v down if you were going.

Hope that helps, there will be lots more questions im sure!

Baz

Generally i would recommend coilovers due to the level of flexibility you get from them with regards to height. there's no point in going budget though - buy cheap = buy twice.

Weitec are a good starting point, I have them on my 8v daily. KW V1's are also worth a look, although more expensive. I have them on my G60.

MK5 wheels are gonna look pretty good - there was a recent pic on here, however they will ride terribly! I really wouldn't bother with 18" wheels.

Again, as mentioned above, look into suspension bushes etc at the same time, there no point doing half a job.

It's prob worth you trying to get along to the next Bristol Meet, which will be 2nd Feb at Avonmeads.. I'd bring my 8v down if you were going.

Baz

Hi mate

Thanks for your advice, this is exactly the type of knowledge i've been craving. Loving this forum as i'm very uneducated in this line of interest.

I'm not exactly loaded but i'm well aware that you get what you pay for so i'm prepared to pay for quality (Within reason)

In reference to what you said about the wheels. I really love the MK5 wheels however i don't want to sacrifice ride quality. If i got them in 17's would this solve the problem?

A meet you say? Is it a meet for Corrado owners?? That would be amazing. Even if its not i'd love to come along sometime and hook up with fellow Corrado enthusiasts. Unfortunately i can't make the 2nd Feb. When would the next one likely to be?

Jealous that you have 2 Corrado's! You must be very proud. Where bouts in Bristol u based? I work in the city center i'll be keepin my eye's peeled lookin out for them.

Cheers

Kenyon

As said previously buy the best you can afford wen it comes to suspension and handling related parts, afterall the way corrodes handle is one of their best attributes. The right suspension setup can and will improve it more so. As for wheels remember that the mk5 golf is 5x112 or 5x100 stud pattern so mk5 wheels unless replicas with a 4x100 stud pattern will not bolt directly onto your car, adaptors will prob be needed and if et and width isn't calculated properly you could end up catching the tyres on the arch's. Just do plenty of research and you will be fine.

Hiya mate :wave:

I think Baz is talking about the edition38 meet that is a monthly thing (I think) down by Krispy Kreme's. It's a general VW thang though, but I'd have thought there'd be a couple of 'rados hanging around.

One of the members here is making a new purchase soon and wants to have a meet (he's Gloucester based) so keep an eye out for an events page around this area - I'll try and remember to link u to it if and when this happens! :thumbleft: (this will be a Corrado based meet)

Welcome, it sounds like you're really enthusiastic about your car but just lacking in some knowledge, which is fine mate as I'm in the same boat!! :lol: This forum has helped me learn things about my car over time though, and is a real genuine collection of nice people and knowledge

Baz

Hi mate

Thanks for your advice, this is exactly the type of knowledge i've been craving. Loving this forum as i'm very uneducated in this line of interest.

I'm not exactly loaded but i'm well aware that you get what you pay for so i'm prepared to pay for quality (Within reason)

In reference to what you said about the wheels. I really love the MK5 wheels however i don't want to sacrifice ride quality. If i got them in 17's would this solve the problem?

A meet you say? Is it a meet for Corrado owners?? That would be amazing. Even if its not i'd love to come along sometime and hook up with fellow Corrado enthusiasts. Unfortunately i can't make the 2nd Feb. When would the next one likely to be?

Jealous that you have 2 Corrado's! You must be very proud. Where bouts in Bristol u based? I work in the city center i'll be keepin my eye's peeled lookin out for them.

Cheers

Kenyon

Shit the bed... I just checked out the KW V1's. Price is very meaty. Something around the Weitec £400-£500 would suit my budget. Whats your opinion on them?

Pm sent with [hopefully] some helpful info, but to confirm the meet details.. yes, it's a meet organised on the Edition38 forum which happens on the first tuesday of every month at 7:30 at krispy kreme - avonmeads.

there is also going to be a meet there on sunday 13th feb, so could be worth trying to get to that if you can..

Hiya mate :wave:

I think Baz is talking about the edition38 meet that is a monthly thing (I think) down by Krispy Kreme's. It's a general VW thang though, but I'd have thought there'd be a couple of 'rados hanging around.

One of the members here is making a new purchase soon and wants to have a meet (he's Gloucester based) so keep an eye out for an events page around this area - I'll try and remember to link u to it if and when this happens! :thumbleft: (this will be a Corrado based meet)

Welcome, it sounds like you're really enthusiastic about your car but just lacking in some knowledge, which is fine mate as I'm in the same boat!! :lol: This forum has helped me learn things about my car over time though, and is a real genuine collection of nice people and knowledge

Cheers mate, The more i learn the more i need to learn but this forum is a god send. Very helpful peeps on here! Some day i might be able to reach out and advise a newbie.