Sign in to follow this  
jimpy66

Why (were) my brakes droning?

When reversing, brakes not depressed at all, I get a fairly loud droning from rear brakes. Lightly holding on the handbrake stops it, let go and it returns. I guess its the calipers, but why? Handbrake seems to be properly adjusted, handle is neither high nor low. Any suggestions?

when you say droning ? sounds to me like the noise you get when the car has been stood for a while when raining and the brakes drag a bit , sound like they are rusty , i know what i mean :lol: mine do it as i dont drive it much .

Yep- know what you mean, but it's not that- discs well used and bright. No sound in forward motion- only in reverse.

mmmmm. the only reason i thought this ,is because my c is parked front end towards the back of the garage ,so reversing out i get the droning noise .

pads might be moving slightly in reverse from the position they sit when braking forward.

do you have any ridging, scoring or rust lip on the rear disks?

Are the anti rattle, spring clips in place?

Discs are almost new, but I'm going to check tomorrow night if spring clips are in place- think you might be right about that

Droning was because rear N/S caliper loose- tightened up bolts and drone gone. So has the flippin' rattle that I blamed on my exhaust- was on the verge of selling the Milltech and ordering OEM. What a complete plonker I'd have felt like once I put a new exhaust on and rattle still there!!