Sign in to follow this  
sprinterVR6

Glowing red brake disc!!!

so, car felt bit odd on way to work with nasty acrid smell. Got to carpark, jumped out and drivers brake area glowing red and steaming :pale:

Phoned a mate and he reckon'd i needed the following;

brake caliper seal replacement kit

&

caliper pistons

I don't doubt the advice, just wondering where's best place to get them? Delivery to Ireland. 'Volkbits' maybe??

Also - I take it driving home is not a good idea? (15min drive)

seized calliper.... been their done that on the rear. mine smoked too... I managed to get mine working again by winding the pistons in and out numerous times with the aid of some rubber greese. I was about 8miles from home when it happened drove it home very slowely stopping numerous times to check it wasent glowing. best of luck.

It's normally caused by irregular use of the car. mine was the rear so i leave the car in the garage with the handbrake off and in gear.

You may find it easier to get an exchange caliper from someone like europarts. I did this for both my fronts when a similar thing happened.

thanks guys :salute:

due to finance issue - ie no money :lol: - i reckon it'll be case of get her home (mate's got a trailer) then sit tight till pay day :(

Just fit some 288s mate. Probably cost you the same as rebuilding a standard caliper and if one's gone, how long before the other one goes? :D

The Le Mans cars have to race into the night - to get the brake disks glowing - Is that what you were trying for ?? !!! :lol:

Sorry - not at all helpful !!!

The Le Mans cars have to race into the night - to get the brake disks glowing - Is that what you were trying for ?? !!! :lol:

oh yeah, I jumped out, saw the glow and thought, 'Yeah baby! Damn I'm good'!!

On reflection, it's more....''oh wait....kneel's down and attempts to blow it out.....SH!T SH!T! SH!T! :lol:

At least with it glowing red you KNEW it was hot.

When one of my rears was playing up (before the Big Red refurb) I stopped to check what was going on. I KNEW it would be hot cause I could smell it and hear it pinking... but I still touched the disk. :shock: :cuckoo: :( :lol:

Lovely burnt finger tip.

Just fit some 288s mate. Probably cost you the same as rebuilding a standard caliper and if one's gone, how long before the other one goes? :D

I'll second that, bet it would work out cheaper than a caliper rebuild! With the bonus of better brakes.