Sign in to follow this  
jamiehamy

Where do you get R32 engines?

I've looked on ebay and the net and there seems to be a limited choice. Where do most people source engines? I live nr Glasgow too, so the further north the better!

Not that i'm buying now, but doing my research....

you could always go for the 2.8 - much easier to get hold of, and MUCH cheaper. You can pick them up with ecu etc for around £4-500 now.

I looked on Edition, Piston Heads, Gumtreee etc etc Sometimes ebay Germany.I found mine on ebay UK in the end, you may just have to be patient.

Dont forget that audi do/did the same engine so they aren't all called r32's.

Just ensure you get all the parts you need off the car if you can. I bought just the engine and ended up searching high and low for the remaining parts for months afterwards.

I do have a spare ECU if you get stuck. :shrug:

Thanks quicky.

I'll be trawling for evermore now! I'm trying to weigh up the benefits of R32 over 4motion and can't get the 'extra 60ish horses' chat out my head but the bank balance (or lack of) is the killing factor. :(

I take it from your guide that there are going to be few differences between the 4motion 2.8 and the r32 install wise?

I've got some questions forming i'll add to your other thread tho :)

Thanks, j

I've not fitted the 2.8, but there are allot of similarities in fitting. If I remember right, the 2.8's are taller and so you wont be able to fit the engine trim unless the bonnet is modded.

Everyone seems to say that the 2.8 are easier to install :shrug: yet I thought the 3.2 was very straight-forward so cant see how it can be simpler :?

If you get an early spec r32 it should be pretty much drop in (ignoring wiring, plumbing and exhaust etc), late r32's need fpr's and new aux bracket. Check out my build to see some pictures if it helps.

Admittedly, the 2.8 is cheaper (about £400 cheaper according to the price of one going on here at the moment), but if your going to do the job isnt it better to fit the engine you want and not skimp on price? I made the mistake of fitting a vr6 as stop gap, worse mistake I made, ended up spending more money and still wanted the r32!

Not sure what r32's are these days but when I was looking they were going for less than £1000. Even saw some sales for the whole setup for £2000. That link to ebay seems a rip off

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2004-AUDI-A3-TT-3-2-V6-ENGINE-3200-250BHP-BDB-/160508577409?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item255f0e8681

2004 AUDI A3 TT 3.2 V6 ENGINE 3200 250BHP BDB

FULLY TESTED 90 DAY GUARANTEE. ( ONLY 72,647 MILES !! )

As mentioned, this seems a bit expensive to me. Plus 72k isn't low mileage.

To put it in to context, mine was a 2005 audi engine, 15k and also came with a months guarantee (read the small print, some exclude engine conversions). Got it for around a grand and that was about average a year ago!

Yeah ebay prices seem slightly silly, hence trying to find other sources.

I do agree, if i want an R32, i should really do that. I would always wish and wonder. Thanks for input everyone, if anything else comes up, please just holler!

Cheers, j

Quickys right tbh, just spend 500 odd more one time and get an R32 as installation will be more or less the same...

Just my opinion anyway.

Quickys right tbh, just spend 500 odd more one time and get an R32 as installation will be more or less the same...

Just my opinion anyway.

I'll just need to be patient, very hard for me as once i've made up my mind I like to get stuck right in! I'll have to wait even longer for a full 'kit' as I don't want to have to scrounge about looking for looms etc.. as I would plan on having the car off the road for minimum time - famous last words probably tho!

I've already started planning it all in my head and i've not even found one never mind sorting money out!

Just build the engine up in your garage (do you have one?), thats what I did as I use my car daily and needed it for work.

Took me two weekends to fit it (ie 4 days), however I was happy for the weeks break to rest my muscles after removing the engine in the first place.

Anyway, good luck and if I come across any "kits" ill pass them your way.