stu37

Rear caliper carrier bolt woes!!!

yup, on the round outside edge - thats what you're aiming to dig into (hence needing new ones afterwards when they're trashed!)

from memory i worked them on a little way while attached to the ratchet and then took the ratchet off and firmly tapped the irwin on further using whatever solid thing (ratchet handle?) i could get down there. once it felt like it had a good purchase then i got the longest extension i could back on there and started slowly pushing it round but still checking that the irwin was still gripping straight while doing it.

although one bolt gives you more room to work than the other, you'll work out eventually that you may have to undo one (either top or bottom) and then do it up again so that you're still holding the carrier still while having a crack at the other.

Are u basically asking how they work there Stu? If so, yeh u put the correct size 'Irwin' over the bolt and use a 1/2" IIRC driven ratchet and it grips onto the bolt head.

I can bring my full set to Chepstow this wknd mate if that's any help to u

Are u basically asking how they work there Stu? If so, yeh u put the correct size 'Irwin' over the bolt and use a 1/2" IIRC driven ratchet and it grips onto the bolt head.

I can bring my full set to Chepstow this wknd mate if that's any help to u

Lol i didnt make the most sence, thanks for the offer mate but im down in Surrey this weekend and was trying to get the car ready for the trip today, just weighing up driving on the bearing or getting the train...

Yes mate with the bolts grippers I was just trying to picture it working on an (Allen bolt) opposed to a (Standard hex bolt) as the openings look as if they grip a standard hex bolt. I was just wondering if they would work on the allen type head as they are perfectly round with no definition (not much to grip)... I hope that made more sense.... :sad: .

I see why you're questioning it, as you could be fooled into thinking there's nothing for the grippers to grip onto. But you will use a irwin gripper socket which is ever so slightly smaller then the carrier bolt and as Dukest said, you will have to tap the bolt gripper over the bolt head, which doing that alone will mean the bolt gripper has dug into the bolt head. Then when you twist it by using a ratchet it will gouge into the bolt - they have slight serrated edges inside the bolt gripper sockets.

Hope that made sense :lol:

Many thanks guys for the info sounds like a set of these will be invaluble to have in the garage from now on!

they work briliantly mate took me 5 mins to get off after 2 days with a hammer lol,,,,now got to do the other side as now that one is starting to whine grrrrrr ,,no movement in the wheel thou ....as for were i got the set stu i got them them from screwfix ,,payed alittle more £23.00 i think but hell it was the worth it ,,,,just dont try them on a bleed nipple nut lol ...good luck guys to those who are doing the same job ,,,if your close and need to borrow just give me a shout ....

If you know anyone who uses Wurth products give Wurth 'Rost Off Ice' a go. £6 a can but my god it's good!

Agreed. Used it often and it's brilliant. Halford equivilant was utter f-ish.

Good to see another Wurth convert. Me and Kev are slowly working through there range :lol: Kev bought 8 tins of Wurth cavity wax last week!

they work briliantly mate took me 5 mins to get off after 2 days with a hammer lol,,,,now got to do the other side as now that one is starting to whine grrrrrr ,,no movement in the wheel thou ....as for were i got the set stu i got them them from screwfix ,,payed alittle more £23.00 i think but hell it was the worth it ,,,,just dont try them on a bleed nipple nut lol ...good luck guys to those who are doing the same job ,,,if your close and need to borrow just give me a shout ....

Many thanks mate, screwfix first thing on saturday and fingers crossed she will be cured again..... (for 5 minutes :D )

hi all new to the forum, im very experience with v dubs and the easiest way to remove seized carrier bolts if to buy a cheap 14mm socket and beat it onto the bolt head,comes out nice and easy!, the allen key heads are shi* lol

Good to see another Wurth convert. Me and Kev are slowly working through there range :lol: Kev bought 8 tins of Wurth cavity wax last week!

Doesn't bear thinking about what the cavity wax is for guys!!!

I'm a Wurth convert from years ago using their screws for woodwork, very good quality and precise. Not seen them for sale for a while, might just be not going to the right places though. Normally buy Spax now instead.

Is there a place online you guys get all your Wurth supplies from? Be handy to know.