stu37

Rear caliper carrier bolt woes!!!

Hi guys just a trying to get a quick heads up and any ideas of how to remove poor condition rear caliper carrier bolts (m8 allen sockets). I have been meaning to attempt to change my rear wheel bearing when yesterday I hit this problem.... I think with years of corrosion and a couple of removals the bolts have suffered both in thread and head (why do people not use grease!!!!) If you guys have any clues of special allen sockets or such like or best practices to remove them please drop a reply. (I have tried all the usual shocking with impact and penetrating fluid)... :(

had the same problem myself- a blowtorch was the only way I could get them out- wish I would have used it first :-(

Plus Irwins and you'll have them off in no time!

Irwins all the way, but first get a wire brush and scrub it like f***. then use a good Allen key( not one you find in ikea pack) line it up in hole then tap in with hammer. There is usually loads of crud in bottom of hole. If that fails then use irwins :) pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't have any irwins when i did mine so i just cut it off, but the irwins sound like a better option, plus they seem to be a very handy tool to have

having just done mine id heartily recomend the reverse-offs(irwins in this case)3 out of the four of mine were solid and well beyond reasonable means off removal. New bolts will only run to @5 pound( I was 12.50 for RR carrier and caliper bolts)really not worth caring how you get them off tbh.get them out by any means and renew

hi all im having the same probs ,,,,wot irwin tool are you talking about ,,,,these dam 8mm hex nuts are driving me mad ,,tried everything so far ,,,just got the bottom ones todo ,,,got spare nuts to replace ,,,,many thanks guys

Is it possible, or indeed advisable, to use stainless bolts instead? I'm replacing as many of the 'low stress' bolts with stainless, which means the sump ones, headlight screws, inlet mani, some nuts in the engine bay. Just not sure about the higher tension ones.

many thanks dukest,, ill pop out tomorrow and get a set ,,just hope this works ,,ill let you all no wot happens ... :D

Anyone know what the reason was VW used allen head bolts instead of the conventional hex bolts?

do they have shares in irwin? :)

Anyone know what the reason was VW used allen head bolts instead of the conventional hex bolts?

was thinking the exact same thing when i was ripping the skin off on my nuckles lol

If you know anyone who uses Wurth products give Wurth 'Rost Off Ice' a go. £6 a can but my god it's good!

Really! Ive tried a freeze product, it wasnt wurth though, didnt find it helped much.

k update ,,,all fixed,,rear bearings done and brakes ,,,had probs with air in the rears , soon sorted that out ,,,only bad thing was snapping the front nipple off and cant undo the nuts on the main pipe ,,,so will be changing all them next ,,,dont suppose anyone out there has a rear shelf for sale ,,,....

thanks for all the advice guys been a great help :D

If you know anyone who uses Wurth products give Wurth 'Rost Off Ice' a go. £6 a can but my god it's good!

Agreed. Used it often and it's brilliant. Halford equivilant was utter f-ish.

k update ,,,all fixed,,rear bearings done and brakes ,,,had probs with air in the rears , soon sorted that out ,,,only bad thing was snapping the front nipple off and cant undo the nuts on the main pipe ,,,so will be changing all them next ,,,dont suppose anyone out there has a rear shelf for sale ,,,....

thanks for all the advice guys been a great help :D

Hello mate did the tool work for you...? I am still battling with mine... after an incident today with residual penetrating fluid and my blow lamp led to a bit of a wheel arch spectacle!!!!!!! :gag: Not something I hope to see ever again. Flames licking around the hub next to the fuel tank definately did not cheer my mood. Had my second attempt at removing the carrier bolts and getting totally fuc*ed off with it now. I hate it when something so trivial stops work. Where did you buy your tool from mate to remove the allen bolts??? I think this will be my last ditch attempt before she gets taken to a garage...

Did you guys use the irwins bolt grippers over the outside edge of the 8mm Allen bolts that hold the carrier in place...? Just getting my head round getting them out. Its been a week now of sub zero temperature and cant hack the moaning noise of the bearing anymore!