Sign in to follow this  
joebrent

temperature problems

As of yesterday my temp gauge decided to stop just at the minimum line,below 70. i had a look under the bonnet with the engine running and fiddled with a few of the switches/leads coming out of the expansion tank, this seemed to make the temp gauge show just about 70 for a few seconds but then drop down again? my water temp has actually never gone above 75 as my rad fan is always on! i did ask how i could remedy this but cant find the post now :( any ideas on both the problems? cheers chaps.

Ok. If you sit stationary for long enough that the fan comes on, what does the water temp read?

If the fan never comes on and you see steam pressure building, then there's a problem with the fan temp switch. If the fan comes on as normal, and your gauge is *still* reading only 75 or so, then you've either got a dying temp sensor, or your gauge pod has voltage problems (or the temp gauge itself is fubar).

Or if you're saying the radiator fan is ALWAYS on - i.e. it comes on when the ignition does, then your rad fan switch is gebuggered - get a new one.

ive changed the rad fan switch and it still does it! the gauge always used to read at least 70 but as of yesterday only reached the minimum line