Sign in to follow this  
gregski

Fuel Filter Replacement - Check

Well after 150,000 miles I thought it was time to replace the good ol' VR6 inline fuel filter. This bad boy is located by the rear tire on the passenger side. It is slightly bigger than a beer can. To get it off I had to remove the metal bracket because naturally the factory mounted the circular clamp away from me so I couldn't get a phillps screw driver in there. Also the biggest pain were those two factory single use hose clamps, man I hate those things, I had to use my pick set to pry them off. Then I replaced them with the screw on ones like god intended. I got my fuel filter from German Auto Parts, cause they are the furthest supplier I could find, me being in California and them in New York, no seriously, they have good prices and the customer service rocks too!!! The job took less then 30 minutes counting prep and clean up. I jacked the car up on one side just to make it easier, but you really don't have to even do that, maybe just drive the rear wheel on a piece of 2x6 or something like that. Yeah some gas will spill out, it's pretty much unavoidable so get a container to catch it, remember there's gas in the old filter too not just the line. But remember there's an electric pump on top of the gas tank, so it's not like that fuel line will drain all the fuel out of the gas tank, nope, all that's gonna come out is what's in the line after the electric fuel pump, in other words not much maybe a cup of gasoline.

Be patient when you go to start her up for the first time, remember there is no gasoline in the filter or the line yet, so prime her first two or three times by turning the key on and off, then it will take two or three tries to get her to fire up.

Here are some pics:

DSCN6209.jpg

DSCN6217.jpg

DSCN6223.jpg

DSCN6232.jpg

DSCN6238.jpg

Excellent write up, cheers Greg :salute:

Just a couple of slight modifications if you don't mind. I've added the word 'VR6' into your post so that the thread is easier to find when searching (I would look for +vr6 +fuel + filter). And also, I've moved it to the Engine forum - Exterior tends to be for bodywork and external type stuff, whereas obviously the fuel filter is pretty crucial to the engine. Hope that's ok.

Excellent write up, cheers Greg :salute:

Just a couple of slight modifications if you don't mind. I've added the word 'VR6' into your post so that the thread is easier to find when searching (I would look for +vr6 +fuel + filter). And also, I've moved it to the Engine forum - Exterior tends to be for bodywork and external type stuff, whereas obviously the fuel filter is pretty crucial to the engine. Hope that's ok.

All good improvements, thanks mate. I went looking for the thread today and thought where the heck did it go, am I loosing my mind did I dream that I posted it and never did, LOL. Anyway I contemplated sticking it under the Engine Bay sections initially but thought of all the smart remarks I would generate with guys pointing out that the fuel filter does not live under the hood, know what I mean, but I totally agree with the move.

One thing you might also be interested in is that you can replace those 2 metal brackets with the plastic carrier from a late Corrado or Mk3 Golf (A3 Rabbit?)