Sign in to follow this  
pt_corrado

liqui molly 10w60

never heard of it. where you getting it from?

in portugal, i know there is a good oil, also recomended for bmw M series .

But dont know if is good for using in the G60. Any of you use 10w 60 oil ?

liqui moly you mean.its german and is a top brand over there. im pretty sure youd be fine using 10w 60 but it really the kind of oil you use on a hot day around a track not during cold weather.

I use Gulf Ester 10W/60 in my VRT. I have no experience of Liqui Moly, other than their Ceratec stuff, but that grade works for me :D

but it really the kind of oil you use on a hot day around a track not during cold weather.

Agreed, the oil grade is a hot summer day's above 20'C for a 4 pot VW series engine of the 1980's. In winter temperatures the oil is like syrup when cold.

Best all year round grade is 10w40. Or 15w40 if the engine is worn/summer use only.

if you dont have an oil cooler it will be ok, provided you stay off boost til its warm. if you do have one id look elsewhere.

i favour magnatec for its sticking properties. should be better for the charger than a regular oil in terms of cold starts.

I use Gulf Ester 10W/60 in my VRT. I have no experience of Liqui Moly, other than their Ceratec stuff, but that grade works for me :D

do you find the ester oils smells sweet? the double ester we put in the lambo smelt like honey!

In winter temperatures the oil is like syrup when cold.

A 10W is a 10W when cold.

15W or 20W is the syrup.

The differnce is the 40 and 60 bit, which only really comes into play at warmer temps.

A 50 or 60 hot weight is ideal for older engines getting tired, or for tuned engines where high fuel dilution is likely. i.e. Boost blow by.

VW specify 10W/40, sorry, 'recommend' a 10W/40 because it meets their drag versus fuel economy criteria. It's the only reason oils have gotten thinner over the years... less drag. For old engines like ours or modified ones, it really makes no odds. Stick what you like in.

do you find the ester oils smells sweet? the double ester we put in the lambo smelt like honey!

It varies with brand mate :D

Double ester - you must be using Motul Crono 300V?

I've used Castrol, Silkolene and Gulf Ester and di-ester blended oils and only the Silkolene looked any different to the norm with it's purple colour! Can't say it smelt like honey though!

I just buy what's cheapest now. I need a 50 or 60 weight, simple as that. I don't buy too much into the marketing horseschitt surrounding oils but I do know Ester is the good stuff and is what I go for. £30 for Gulf Ester is a bargain.