Dr Forinor

Which family diesel ?

As title of thread, out of these 3, which would you say is the better car?

The main thing that I need from this family car is economy! As cheap to run in MPG, to maintain, to fix if something goes wrong, etc etc. And, a lot of space, mainly boot space.

2005 VAUXHALL Astra 1.7 CDTi 16v Sport

2004 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 1.9 S TDI 5DR 100BHP

2005 SEAT Ibiza 1.9TDi Sport 100

Mk4's are great cars as daily's. The 150Tdi I had would easily do 50mpg and needed nothing doing to it. Ive had 3 or 4 of them now and they are well built but I woudlnt be paying that for the silver one. Thats way over price.

Dont know anything about Astra's so cant really say, not even been in one for about 20years. As its only the 100tdi and has the black trim it will not have the same equipment as the GT Tdi's. For £5k you should be able to get a mint 130 Gttdi with low mileage. In fact there was a really good car advertised on Eastside recently 150Tdi in silver 5dr for about £4600 - http://www.eastsidevw.co.uk/Forum/viewt ... =10&t=4840

I did think about a mk2 focus but cant seem to find a decent one yet.

I sort of need to get one from a dealer so I can trade in my current family runaround, I need a car asap and I cant really afford to wait tp post an ad for mine & then wait for someone to eventually buy it...

Mazda 6? get a 136bhp t-diesel for about that sort of money, handle better than all those others and probably better screwed together

I would love to, but cos its a family car, my missus needs to drive it and the Mazda 6 is too big for her. So it has to be around a Mazda 3 size (which she actually doesnt like), hence these cars...

I have a 55 plate Astra Estate 1.7 CDTI and i cant really complain about anythin on it. Upto now its been really reliable and decent to drive with good MPG and only £110 for 12 months road tax. I've had it for about 18 months.

Slightly off subject but i've just got rid of a 2005 Passat 2.0 TDI Passat. Just 5 yrears old with full VW history - Worst car i have ever owned!!!!!!

I have a 55 plate Astra Estate 1.7 CDTI and i cant really complain about anythin on it. Upto now its been really reliable and decent to drive with good MPG and only £110 for 12 months road tax. I've had it for about 18 months.

Slightly off subject but i've just got rid of a 2005 Passat 2.0 TDI Passat. Just 5 yrears old with full VW history - Worst car i have ever owned!!!!!!

Why was it the worst car? What was wrong with it? I'm surprised by that if I'm honest... :?

Why was it the worst car? What was wrong with it? I'm surprised by that if I'm honest... :?

It surprised me too but if you do a google search on the passat B6 2.0 TDI (BKP engine) you'll see what i mean. Loads of common problems that cost lots to fix and VW won't recall them as they are not classed as safety issues. Just a quick few of the top of my haed - Ignition control module, really common problem and around 1K to fix. VW have now managed to reduce it to around £300 somehow after 1000's of complaints. Oil pump failiure also VERY common on the BKP engine and again around 1K to fix. It can also lead to turbo problems at around £600 to replace. Rear electronic brake is nothing but trouble and the interior build quality is very bad. Its a nice car to drive when its going though :lol: Personally i think the Astra is a much better car and i've always had VW's in the past, and present actually as i still have the 8v.

Hhmmm, shame that. I'm very tempted by the Astra if I'm honest, moreso than either the Golf or the Ibiza.

Don't get me wrong mate, It only seems to be the 2.0 BKP engines that get the bad comments, all the other engines seem to fair well and the 1.9 tdi seems to be about the best, but they also have the VW premium.

Good look with your search anyway.

LOL, I'm loving the suggestions, and I have considered the Fabia VRS, but again cant seem to find one that readily.

Can people please stick to the provided 3 cars lol :p

Hehehe, I ended up getting a 2006 Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi, now, how can I increase the power of this beast.... :p

Edited by Dr Forinor

not a bad choice, bit plasticy inside (what isn't that size) but I bet it'll do a gazillion miles to the gallon :)

I'd have recommended the Ibiza, with our first baby on the way we've just upgraded to one and can't sing its praises enough, ok well, its not the Corrado, but it does have four doors... and is blue... and does 50mpg :-)

Ah well, never mind Wazza, will certainly keep it in mind for the next time.

Looking forward to getting the economy, and only £30 road tax for 12months, can't go wrong :D

Edited by Dr Forinor