Sign in to follow this  
VR6

Bit ropey at high speeds.......?

Not exactly a critical problem really.....

Having a run out before and was doing about 110 (and none of this *cough, 'on my private road'* cos there was no speed limit :)) and noticed that it felt a bit spongey when not going in a straight line.

Feels pretty solid at lower speeds and handles bloody well considering she's totally standard.

......So I was just wondering what to do to tighten her up a bit?

Lowered (for obvious reasons!)?

Anti-roll bar bushes?

As she's only on 40k, I assume most parts are standard and therefore 10 years old! What needs replacing at around this age?

The 40k...? Is it mostly bumpy around town driving? If so, it could be time to have a look at the standard suspension parts? Konis all around made a hell of a difference to my G60, lowered it slightly too, but because they were adjustable it meant it was great around town and also nice on long trips too...

It's a good mix of town and country driving really (with a few speed humps thrown in!).

Think I will save up and go for the Koni coilovers I think.

Just wonder what else is worth replacing whilst I'm at it??

Rear axle bushes make the biggest difference. You feel how stiff the VW replacements are compared to your squishy 10 year old ones. I warn you though, this is not a pleasant job for either a pro or a DIYer and bargain on a replacement brake biasing valve too (£150+), as they always seize up and perhaps a brake line or two. It is worth doing though as it restores that Corrado 'tug you round the bend' feeling.

As for Konis - yes definitely for the Yellows TAs with H&R springs but coilovers....hmmm. I hate them to be honest, but each to our own. They're expensive, prone to failure and too stiff for UK roads. The Corrado is not under-damped or softly-sprung as standard, but if you want really low, then they are the only way to go. For the same price as Koni coilovers, you could drive to stealth, have him fit Koni Top adjustables, H&R springs and Eibach Anti-roll bards and drive home again and I know which has the better ride quality.

Kev

94 VR6