jimbobbalooba

Stretch bolts - for all you mechanics out there (hopefully!)

Hi, gonna be building up the engine this or next weekend from scratch after an acid bath for the block. I'm getting hold of the new parts I need such as seals and bearing however I've come up against a problem - There are no part numbers on ETKA for the crank stretch bolts. Not to be mistaken with discontinued items, these have never been listed by VW.

I spoke to my VW dealer who confirms the situation. Apparently VW take the opinion that you shouldn't be stripping down as far as the crank in a local garage and should only take place back in Germany I guess. If the VW dealer can't get them then I really don't know what to do. I don't particularly want to re-use these as they are stretch bolts and shouldn't be used twice.

Has anybody else had a similar issue; if so how did you get around it?

Same goes for the Camshaft bearings oddly?!?!?!?

Please help... anybody.

Thanks

Jim

When i did mine i bought the bearing shells from VW, you have to use the 24v ones as they superceed the 12v ones, but are readily available to order. I also bought conrod stretch bolts from them, i didnt change the bolts holing the main caps on, i dont think they need to be replaced, no mention of it in the bentley manual.

Cam bearing studs / nuts are OK to be reused but I would use ARP conrod bolts personally. They're much stronger and if you ever go for some forced induction (a lot of VR6 owners do eventually end up down that path!), you won't need to drop the sump to fit uprated bolts. Although it's rare, we have seen cases of standard rod bolts stretching too much on standard engines. ARPs are fit and forget, on any state of tune. Cheaper than the dealer ones too I think.

Cam bearing studs / nuts are OK to be reused but I would use ARP conrod bolts personally. They're much stronger and if you ever go for some forced induction (a lot of VR6 owners do eventually end up down that path!), you won't need to drop the sump to fit uprated bolts. Although it's rare, we have seen cases of standard rod bolts stretching too much on standard engines. ARPs are fit and forget, on any state of tune. Cheaper than the dealer ones too I think.

I've posted on VW Vortex as well and they came up with ARP stuff too. Definitely the route I'm gonna take. Main studs (ones that hold the crank caps on) are part number 204-5403 and I'm getting them shipped for $131 delivered. Con rod bolts are part number 204-6006 and cost roughly £100 delivered.

The bearings for the camshaft (not the crank or the con rods) don't actually exist I've discovered. Couldn't remember taking them off the head when dismantling it and that would be why!! doh!!

I'll take piccies of when I'm actually doing the work and put them up here, might be of interest to someone??!?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Arrow-precison in the UK is where i got a set of ARP Rod bolts from, actually cheaper than VW genuine parts, and they are reusable. They do sell the other ARP stuff and i heard from somebody that they can near enough match on price compared with the US, by the time you have added on import duty and VAT.

Arrow-precison in the UK is where i got a set of ARP Rod bolts from, actually cheaper than VW genuine parts, and they are reusable. They do sell the other ARP stuff and i heard from somebody that they can near enough match on price compared with the US, by the time you have added on import duty and VAT.

...this is why I love this forum. That little snippet of information is gonna save me time and money; thanks iceviolet.

Jim

Hi, gonna be building up the engine this or next weekend from scratch after an acid bath for the block. I'm getting hold of the new parts I need such as seals and bearing however I've come up against a problem - There are no part numbers on ETKA for the crank stretch bolts. Not to be mistaken with discontinued items, these have never been listed by VW.

I spoke to my VW dealer who confirms the situation. Apparently VW take the opinion that you shouldn't be stripping down as far as the crank in a local garage and should only take place back in Germany I guess. If the VW dealer can't get them then I really don't know what to do. I don't particularly want to re-use these as they are stretch bolts and shouldn't be used twice.

Has anybody else had a similar issue; if so how did you get around it?

Same goes for the Camshaft bearings oddly?!?!?!?

Please help... anybody.

Thanks

Jim

Sorry which block are you building up?

I guess you are refering to the VR6 conrod stretch bolts, these are part number 021 105 425B (FIG 6-30), the crankshaft bearing cap bolts are part number N 903 658 01 (FIG 2-30).

The camshaft caps are not streched items, the camshaft caps do not have any separate bearing shells, unlike the crankshaft. You will not be able to order camshaft caps as they come matched to the cylinder head through line boring. You can change the studs on the cylinder head if you wish but there is not requirement to do so.

Unlike the G60 or 16v engined cars the VR6 manual does not give you a single re-use of the conrod stretch bolts.