ger040

Corrado g60 - not running correctly

I have taken my corrado out of storage and am about to start puting it back on road - once i got it started everthing seemed ok but after a couple of hours running i noticed the following

1. The temp gauge does not work and i noticed the flange connection on the cylinder head is leaking badly - i think i seen this somewhere before which causes the engine not to run correctly.

2. Fuel consumption is excessive - an hour at idle uses approx £5.00 of fuel !!!.

3. Steam constantly pours from the exhaust even after an hour but the car uses no water? The exhaust is quite fumey and smells of petrol.

I bought this car ayear ago and the previous owner said that the car has sat for approx 2 years

any pointers on what the problem can be will be appreciated

thanks

I think maybe an injector is stuck open or you're not getting 12v to the fuel rail - worst case is the injector driver on the ECU is blown due to a bad chassis earth.

Idling the engine for an hour is probably not doing it any good by the way - probably needs a new lambda probe and blue temp sensor at a minimum but I would fix the coolant leak first and also change the oil and plugs.

I think maybe an injector is stuck open or you're not getting 12v to the fuel rail - worst case is the injector driver on the ECU is blown due to a bad chassis earth.

Idling the engine for an hour is probably not doing it any good by the way - probably needs a new lambda probe and blue temp sensor at a minimum but I would fix the coolant leak first and also change the oil and plugs.

Thanks for the reply i will start with the least expensive items first

with regards to checking the voltage to the fuel rail i would assume this is the brown connection with red /yellow wires - how do you check the voltage here? - i can get hold of a multimeter

i will order on saturday a new temp sensor and housing from the local vw dealer.

with regards to the cat convertor i plann to change this anyway as the exhaust is pretty knackered and i have managed to get hold of a genuine centre box at good money and i am looking for a new rear box (my dealer quoted over £200.00 for this and this was at trade price!

Yeah that's the one,white plug and you need to pin it from the back with the meter - anything less than 12v at the rail and the car will overfuel by 25%

When you buy the housing make sure they sell you the extra bung as new ones have a third outlet (if it's not been changed since 2004)

There was a magnex cat back system for sale for around £200 on here - really good aftermarket system!

You could also check the lambda wiring - this is near to the rear engine mount and it plugs in to a bracket attached to it - handy when the engine mount fails!

I got hold of the multimeter and tried testing the fuel rail - both plugs (brown and white) are well sealed and i am afraid of damaging them - i tried to pin them but these things are well sealed and i am not to sure even if i am making the connection to the cables - the max rerading i got was 0.8v ? - i will try again tomorrow with a bit more daylight - if this is the case and the reading is only 0.8 is this a new ecu ?

thanks for the info supercharged your help is well appreciated