Hi all.

There is a fella on CGTI who is likely to be doing a run of perspex windows - he is waiting on receiving some CAD drawings before he can begin. Hopefully shouldn't be long before he can start making them.

There will be a discount if he can confirm numerous orders for Corrado windows (the more, the merrier).

Follow the link to the thread for more info, if you are interested then stick your name down.

http://clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209821&page=7

That's a good point emu - I'll be putting them into my car and using it on the road and track. A couple of my friends have road cars with plastic windows and don't have any issues with the fuzz or at an MOT, though this does not necessarily mean they are legal.

As far as I am aware for cars made after 1985 - the front windscreen must be specified safety glass and all other windows and screens can be made from safety glazing (a material which if fractured will not fly into sharp fragments). I believe the guy doing the window kits on CGTI makes them from lexan or poly carb which are classed as safety glazing. I can ask him for more details if this is a concern of anyone interested in getting a set.

Tinting can also be an issue, so to be on the safe side I'll be asking for clear, tint free perspex.

I found some info on safety glass/glazing through the following link:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/summariesofconstructionandus4576?page=4

And an updated version (see page 30):

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/25/pdfs/uksi_20010025_en.pdf

are you talking about all side windows and rear ? The rear and rear sides may be a an issue with bonding unless your happy to see the adhesive through the clear perspex and not rubber seals

I have seen perspex made to look identical to the stand rear sides ie with the black band around the edge. maybe he can do that? If so I may want some done

Quicky - yea that's right all sides and rear screen. Scrolling through the earlier posts in the thread mentioned in the op, he says that he can do either - a direct replacement for the glass which can be fitted with the original rubber or provide them with the black strips that cover the outside edge, ready for bonding to give the factory look.

A few related points that might be worth noting to anyone considering:

- Judging by the positive feedback from people who have received kits from him, they are of a very good quality.

- The main reason for fitting plastic windows is to save weight (they are around 40% than their glass equivalent).

- They will not be an aesthetic improvement as they will scratch more easily than glass however the poly carb windows are apprantly pretty good at resisting scratches.

I dont have a CGTI account but would be interested in seeing how his side rear windows on the golf look like as I think they bond in too? may clear up some confusion.

Any chance you can get pics? or pursued him to join this forum and post on here his business?

It could be worth joining CGTI as membership is free. If I remember rightly, all you need is an email address. There's quite a few posts with pictures and some questions and answers in his thread. There are also a small number people already interested in a set for a Corrado on CGTI. If you don't want to join CGTI though I could ask him to join the Corrado forum and start a thread on here.

Bump. Anyone interested?

Yeah looking at that ebay link of Mike's I'd be interested if the cost is ok. Am I able to tint this material if I wanted to?

Thanks

Jim

Jimbob, shouldn't be a problem to tint them. The cost of the windows on Deutsch ebay are around £135 + delivery so might be a bargain, depending on delivery costs. Not sure on the quality of those (could be great or not so great), they appear to be flat rather than curved judging by the photos but can't say for sure and the listing states they are 3mm thick.

I'm going to wait for a price from the chap on CGTI (link in op) as the quality is top notch and they are curved so will fit the car very well. They are a little bit thicker at 4mm.

Edited by alip_corrado

Sam, I'll chase him and ask him to answer your question. Just re-read this thread and I now understand what you mean by the black band that goes around the edge of the windows.

Bump!! Mike is now about to take orders so get ur name down if u want a set.

Sam, Mike has said that he has now sent u a message so hopefully he'll be in touch more often now.

Wasn't keen on having to heat up the items to make the curves match better and having to primer and paint the black edges. I was under teh impression the black edges would be done by the guy and would be on the inside of the window, not outside. Im going to step back from this and have a think.

Probably a good call Sam if an oem look is what you are after, these are more suitable for track/race use really. Thanks for showing an interest.