Sign in to follow this  
joebrent

Thermostat

After a bit of research i think i need a new thermostat to cure my problems, i.e, fan ALWAYS on (when ignitions on anyway) and temp gauge never getting above 70 unless idling. i disconnected the fan today and after driving round for a bit it got to 70 (just) then after idling for a good 5 mins it got to 90, drove for a bit went back down to 70. What exactly is the thermostat? how much will it cost? is it a pig to fit, will it take a mechanic long to do it? thanks guys. :-P

are the top and bottem rad hoses getting warm? if they are then you have flow, that means the thermo is okay.

it could be the fan switch is stuck if the fan is coming on from cold

the fan switch has been changed mate and still no difference! not too sure bout the rad hoses, im not very mechanicallly minded to tell you the truth :lol:

are the top and bottem rad hoses getting warm? if they are then you have flow, that means the thermo is okay.

it could be the fan switch is stuck if the fan is coming on from cold

not entirely true.... if it is stuck open u will have flow through the radiator even when u dont need it...so it will run cold.

This is almost unrelated to the fan being on constantly...thats a temp switch problem.

I just replaced the thermostat on my car it was £7.07 +vat from vee dubya.

HTH

Thermostat from German, Swedish and Frog for a G-60 £4 + vat. I checked it out for a mate at work last week.Worth it if your near one. I'm not tight but every little helps!! :)

Just thought, there's a sensor on the front of the block in front of the oil cap, looks like a nut with a leccy connection, as i understand it if the resistor in there heats up it allows power to the fan, a thermo switch. Maybe it's doing that all the time? It should have a VAG number on it and I think its a dealer part, GS &F don't stock it, as i recall it's about £7 ish. Must change mine the connection's held in with a self-tapping screw! :)