JohnCarlos

6n Polo owner making the switch

Good afternoon all,

Just thought I would say hello to you all as this is my first post of (hopefully) many.

Over the past few years I have been cutting my teeth on a 1996 6n polo, and have turned it from a non-running sorn to a daily driver. The next stage for me is research into the raddo's to find myself a nice one and start enjoying real performance vw motoring.

I hope to help people in the forums wherever I can, and maybe if I get stuck, chuck a couple of posts up and cross my fingers.

All the best

John

Good choice with the corrado mate as long as you can afford all the bills! I used to have a 6n 16v before the vr and it was a great little car!

i went the other way. i used to have a G'reg 1.8 16v rado and then went for a mk3 polo.... but it was a G40! :-)

but im now back in a G60!

good choice on getting one though but be prepaired to be putting your hand in your pocket. treat her right and she'll do the same. ive had no major probs with mine yet but have changed a fair few bits and general maintenace.

what you thinkin of gettin?

Hey guys, cheers for the welcome. I'm currently enjoying the cheap running costs with the polo, but used to own a Subaru so know what its like to spend a fortune on parts!!

I'm thinking about getting a VR6, but I have heard some horror stories about the timing chains and their replacement procedure. I will be doing any work required by myself, so want to make sure that job is done if I go for that engine. The G60 looks good on paper, but the sound of that vr6 is hard to resist!!

Thanks again guys.

Edited by JohnCarlos

Yeah- G60 is a great motor and probably the best all round, but that VR sound is hard to resist! As for the chains- I spent a while buying my VR and though there is a few 'bad' ones out there, I think it's fair to say that poor maintenance is the issue and it tended to show all over the car. Mine's had a million owners, but the chains are as quiet as a tomb...........ok, thats a bit far, but you genuinely can't pick them out in the sounds, whereas bad ones stand out big time. It's the old story, don't buy one 'till it feels right (and you've checked everything!)

when i was looking to get another Rado i knew i wanted G, but for me its the sound of the supercharger which i like as apposed to the VR sound. the main thing i was thinking about was mantenace and the VR engine fills the whole engine bay with not much room to work on, G60 bags of room due to the little old 8v!

you can also get relativley the same power from a G60 as you can get from the VR, unless your planning on spending loads on charging a VR!

As above really, its down to personal preference. Drive both then you should have a clear idea of what you want!

The g60 vs vr6 thing always has divided opinion on here so just see what you want and buy the best you can afford!

Good advice guys. I think i would enjoy the space in the engine bay that a G60 would give me, but then again, I have heard the VR6's pull smoothly. As you all say, its personal opinion, but I will go for the one that has the better overall package. Bit of a buyers market at the moment, so I'm keeping my ear to the ground.