snakeblueskin

oil pressure light/buzzer

I have got my vr6 running again after it been sat all winter and took it for a good blast today and now Abs light wont go out and now the oil pressure light/buzzer is going off!!! How do i check oil pressure anyone? Could it be a oil leak or head gasket starting to fail as i have noticed a bit of steam coming from underneath engine sumwere? And there is a bit of oil next to airbox?

The oil light/buzzer is more likely to be broken wiring or faulty sensors, they are mounted ontop of the oil filter housing at the front of the engine, I recently had the same problem and found the wiring broken at the sensor connectors. Shine a torch down from the slam panel and you will see the sensors/wiring.

Is the oil on the side of the head, or coming from the airbox tube?

I wouldn't be so fast to ignore the oil pressure warning. I wouldn't take that chance until I was absolutely sure of the cause. I've lost a VR6 engine to failed pressure (spun the big engine bearing) but if your light is on and you just choose to ignore it you could easily be looking at 200kg of scrap iron in your engine bay.

Certainly don't ignore it - a broken wire will put the light out not on and can be easily checked - with ignition on and engine off - pull the wire off the right hand (as you look at it) sensor, it's just on a spade terminal - with it disconnected, it your oil light out? Now short it to the engine block - the light should flash.

As the buzzer is on the other sensor, I'd be severely concerned about running the car anywhere and would be having a local garage check it immediately.

IIRC - the light should come on at about 1.6bar and the buzzer at about 0.4bar

The light and buzzer only come on if i drive over about 2000rpm roughly. If i stop and turn ignition off then start car agin its fine untill i go over 2000rpm again? I didnt get a chance to look at it today but got a day off work tommorow so will check it out. I might just take it to a mechanic as i dont want to scrap my engine love it way to much!!!!!

Certainly don't ignore it - a broken wire will put the light out not on and can be easily checked - with ignition on and engine off - pull the wire off the right hand (as you look at it) sensor, it's just on a spade terminal - with it disconnected, it your oil light out? Now short it to the engine block - the light should flash.

As the buzzer is on the other sensor, I'd be severely concerned about running the car anywhere and would be having a local garage check it immediately.

IIRC - the light should come on at about 1.6bar and the buzzer at about 0.4bar

I pulled wire off of sensor and the light went out. Then i tried shorting it to engine block and no lights came on then i reconected it and still no lights. So i unplugged it again and a black plastic thing came off and there was a spring underneath it and it wont go back together again? Il order a new sensor today and start again. And a new spanner to fit sensor as i dont have one big enough to take it off!

The oil light/buzzer is more likely to be broken wiring or faulty sensors, they are mounted ontop of the oil filter housing at the front of the engine, I recently had the same problem and found the wiring broken at the sensor connectors. Shine a torch down from the slam panel and you will see the sensors/wiring.

Is the oil on the side of the head, or coming from the airbox tube?

My wiring seems fine to the sensors im ordering a new sensor today so il see what happens. I cleaned up oil and theres been no more signs of an oil leak so i hope its just a sensor!!!