farrantino

A few problems

Good morning,

my car has a massive oil leak, suspecting the crank seal(clutch end), which is covering the clutch and starter with thick horrible oil, couple of things i would like too know.............

1) would this cause the starter too strain and drain my battery

2)(most importantly) how hard is it too change both the clutch and seal.

I would like too give the change ago as ive never done a clutch, is there a guide around here on how too change a clutch.

Thanks in advance guys.

Car is a 2.0 16v 9a

Edited by farrantino
change of header

went too "try" and start the car this morning and nothing, but while trying too crank the engine over i could hear the central locking pump clicking. Does this mean is buggered??

not sure, because on sunday i cleaned out the starter and all the earth point in the bay and has been brilliant, then yesterday went to go to work and nothing very slow and the central locking pump clicking.

No idea why battery is now appearing flat. Maybe something jsut got left on?

With regards to leak, my 16v Golf has a similar issue - drove fine, then suddenly oil pouring out the drain hole. In the end turned out that the bellhousing had been punctured from within the gearbox. The gears worked fine and I never worked out what caused it.

Just telling you because you might not notice and just assume the seal was leaking under pressure. The hole was in one of the indents, so hard to see.

Worth checking. Hope you get it sorted. Doing the clutch is pretty easy, getting the gearbox off and on is the tricky bit (in a VR anyway, 2.0l might be easier to position engine).

If you dont have one i'd get a passat haynes manual as they share the 9A engine......i think this'll be the one, hopefully someone else will know for sure......if not i'll look at mine when i get home :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Haynes-Manual-VW-PASSAT-/120689084779?pt=UK_CarParts_Vehicles_Manuals_Litterature_ET&hash=item1c19a1496b

Just got this manual, says it doesnt cover 16v :(, cant find any other manual for a 9a.