harryc

Which replacement ariel?

Did alot of research and found the common cause of my poor radio reception and assume its the signal amplifier.

Im going to fit a replacement ariel with amplifier, what have people used as a replacement?

Think the vag unit comes in at around £70, any aftermarket units that fit, look good, work and cost less? Cant see anything on ebay? (late vr6)

Non amplified by the looks of it? I think i need one with a signal amplifier as i have rubbish radio reception. Did it improve your reception?

That one is ampilified, was exactly the same as the amplified base i took off my VR. The reception was terrible on mine and the gasket had almost come out completely, but now reception is excellent.

Would be worth removing the trim at the back of the headlining and pulling the headlining down a bit and checking the type of connection is the same as pictured. That's what i did and was identical.

Mine is a 95 vr so it will have the same as yours, thanks for the link will go for that i think. Got any pics of it on the car?

Sorry i thought it was a bee sting design but its actually a replacement base right? You then screw in the old antenna.

Yes the ebay link is for just the base and gasket, it comes with a few inches of cable and the connection. They do the mast's too if you need one, but mine was ok.

old:

Corrado021.jpg

new:

Corrado025.jpg

Do you need to totally remove the headlining to replace the aeriel base?

No,just the strip between the C pillars,and carefully pull the lining down.

The connectors look different. See pic. I tried to get them to fit but the old aeriel connector looks fatter (bigger girth) than the new one.

Any ideas before I try to get a refund from the Ebay chap?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45297[/ATTACH]

Is this the one you have which doesnt fit?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360322451716

Yes this doesn't fit

This one looks more like what I have on the car - a bigger coax type connector plus the second cable connection (power supply?)

Mine is a 1993 L reg VR6 - not sure if that is early or late or a bit of both. I think there are all sorts of variations on small parts like this. I should have checked first I guess. Anyway the eBay salesman has agreed to give me a full refund once I have bought the right one and fitted it so it should all be ok in the end.

Hi guys.

Ive got a 1995 VR6 so am i right in thinking i need the ariel in the second link above?

Thanks

My '96 VR6 had this type fitted http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=360322451716

But as 4eyes2wheels said, there were probably variations in the parts originally fitted.

It's quite easy to just remove the trim at the rear of the headlining and have a look at the type of connection before ordering the correct part.

How easy is it remove the c pillars to get to the headlining?

You don't have to take the C pillars out to check your aerial,or to even replace it ! Just take out the joining strip between the pillars,and gently pull the headlining down in the middle, that's how I done mine, twice now ! If you want to take the C pillars out,it takes a couple minutes per side! Easy job.

Thanks chaps - with a bit of trial and error it was easy to access the aerial base by dropping the rear bit of the headlining. However, despite getting the correct base with the correct connectors I still do not get decent reception (or any MW reception at all) so must be something else wrong!

Plug your aerial straight into your headunit,if the reception improves it's the lead,have you checked the plug on the radio ?

If you have an aftermarket stereo, you need to make sure the power supply to the antenna is connected (black wire along side the antenna cable) to the power antenna or amp remote output (usually blue and White wire).

If the antenna power supply wire is not connected the signal will be as if the antenna is not connected.