Sign in to follow this  
Gareth

Clutch nightmare

getting in the car to goto work this morning as i pushed the clutch pedal i got to about half way down the travel of the pedal and there was a clunk and i lost the feel of the pedal under my foot.

So looking down the pedal was all the way to the floor.... got out the car and with my hand i can pull the pedal up and push back down.... it feels like the spring is takeing over about half way down and pulling the pedal to the floor.... so im guessing.. but there isnt any hydraulic pressure to return the pedal.

Looking at my manual in the troubleshooting section it has 3 possible causes:

Air in hydraulic system, piston seized in master or slave cylinder

and hydraulic system leak or master and slave leaking...

so any ideas?? and if either cylinder has gone is there a way of finding whitch cylinder has gone?.... or is it a case of buy both master and slave and replace at the same time??

give the system a bleed to start with......I did mine the other day and the fluid I took out of it isnt fit for fiats.

See where u are after that. (5 min job)

well on closer inspection there is fluid all over the top of my gearbox casing and it has ran down n left a patch on the floor.

so its looking like the slave cylinder has snuffed it..... does this sound bout right to every1 else.....

so just to add if the cylinder has gone then bleeding wont do anything or will it??

that does offer some form of explanation, yes!

not to big a job, can be a bit of a fiddle to get it out past the selecter on the gearbox. Dont think ur car will be going far without that sorted!

could be worse..... :lol:

well on closer inspection there is fluid all over the top of my gearbox casing and it has ran down n left a patch on the floor.

so its looking like the slave cylinder has snuffed it..... does this sound bout right to every1 else.....

so just to add if the cylinder has gone then bleeding wont do anything or will it??

If the fluid is all over the top of the box, check the pipe that feeds the slave cylinder.. these sometimes fracture on the coiled bit or the rubber perishes and bursts or wears through... If this pipe looks OK, then it's time to change the slave cylinder... :|

Good luck! 8)

the bolt on the slave cylinder (the 1 closest to the front) is not accessible unless i remove the linkage lever... is this true??

if i do that will the gear selector require setting up...... also can any1 tell me the size of the bolts.... what i meen is the size of the spline tool needed to remove bolts

sorry to pinch thread guys but just had a new clutch fitted on my 1.8 16v and now with the clutch fully engaged i get a high pitched rattle squeaky squealing tinkering Sound (think that just about explains it!) :lol: just a faint touch on the clutch pedal and the rattling goes, anyone recognise this? can i just adjust the clutch slightly to eliminate. If so, how!!

Also just had top radiator hose go on me on way home from work. It really is something every sodding week at the moment! Grrr!

Yep deffo the slave cylinder, been there on that one. You can just on-bolt the selector on the box, one 10 mm and one 13 mm spanner iirc. Its a piece of piss job really and you can get a cylinder from the scrappies offa passat or somethin, i got one for a fiver. Dont forget to bleed it tho :-P

sorry to pinch thread guys but just had a new clutch fitted on my 1.8 16v and now with the clutch fully engaged i get a high pitched rattle squeaky squealing tinkering Sound (think that just about explains it!) just a faint touch on the clutch pedal and the rattling goes, anyone recognise this? can i just adjust the clutch slightly to eliminate. If so, how!!

Yeah, I got the same thing on mine after the previous owner had the clutch done by 'Mr Clutch' :evil: - they have replaced it 4 times now under warranty and it still does it, I think I may have a distorted fork / release lever in there or it could be just a cheap bearing/knackered release sleeve or there not using the correct grease on it (should be molybdenum disulphide)

Cheers Guys

My mechanic rang me to say they had poblems when he was replacing the clutch cos he reckoned the previous clutch hadnt been installed properly and something was nearly rubbing on the gear casing!!!??. At least thats what i thought he said was at work and the time was stressed and wasnt really listening. Went to see him today anyway and he said he said to give it a week or two and if it doesnt go or gets worse take it in he'll try and sort it. Its got me worried now though maybe the tit who had it before did put it in wrong and has done more permanent damage! I know the chap who had it previous to the last owner was abit of an enthusiast!!. So am i but it doesnt always mean im good at fixing them!!!! Update in a week or two

Cheers

Thanx 4 all you help guys.... i bought a new slave cylinder from ecp and when replacing the cylinder i rounded the head on the pipe that goes into the slave cylinder :cry: and some how i lost the rubber bush along with the 2 washers :mad: so orded a new pipe, bush and washers.... they had none in stock and i had 2 wait another day.... then when the day of delivery was upon me i phoned to make sure the parts had arrived, the bush and 1 washer is on back order :mad:

yet more time b4 i can drive the love of my life :cry: