Bullfinch

Coolant leak loss - heater matrix packed up?

The Corrado's been reliable all year, 48 hours until it's MOT on Saturday and so I decide to drive it to work today to give it a run. Get in it tonight at work, starts fine but coolant level light stays on. Drive v.carefully 12 miles home, car mists up like crazy and when I open the bonnet at home I can see the coolant level is low/non existent. It was too dark to do anything else but there was a nice gooey mess in the passenger footwell. I guess this means the heater matrix has packed up!!!!

Qu.1: Is this a standard VW part to order from the dealer?

Qu.2: Is there anyone near to Bracknell who can help me fit this - I'm happy to pay a reasonable sum.

You can get the part from VW, but I think its ridiculously expensive. General consensus is to get it from GSF, but make sure you get the valeo one.

Heater matrix is a standard part, furthermore it is now an upgraded component from dealer which is much more resistant to failure. If in doubt however buy a MK3 golf valeo Unit from GSF if you want a cheaper price but OEM quality. The job itself is not difficult just labour intensive, and involves removing the dash board to remove the heater box. Attention to detail is required to avoid annoying rattles behind the dash, post works. Also watch out not to damage fragile foam coverings on heater box flaps, to do so will cause directional airflow problems. I am based in Sussex but would hope you can rope in help.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll check prices tomorrow at the dealer. I can see the GSF part is £37.80 plus VAT plus delivery. Timing couldn't be much worse as apart from this weekend I don't have a weekend at home until May. At least by then it should be warmer to do this job.

just connect the matrix feed and return together with a bit of copper pipe and some jubilees, temp fix until it's warmer etc.

that's if you can live without the heater :)

OK - just ordered the part from GSF - the part no. is 178VG0041. One other coolant related question - my expansion tank has a black cap on it. I'm sure I've been to Corrado meets where folk have a (newer) blue cap. Mention was made that these are better but I've no idea why - can anyone help? Thanks

Thanks for that - I just love this forum for getting answers.

I'll chance my luck with another! If I want to bypass the heater matrix I assume you just hook up the inlet and outlet pipes going into the car. Are these pipes the same size - how best to join them up? I'm sure I read a thread last night about getting some B&Q tubing to link them but can I find this thread this morning...err no!

Some info here:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?48998-Bypass-Matrix&p=630554&viewfull=1#post630554

Doesn't list any sizes but thats the sort of thing you are looking for. The forum search can be a bit hit or miss sometimes, but if you start using boolean operators it can be quite effective, not that I know how to do this! There was talk of getting a search guide up at some point, not sure what happened to this

i did just as david wort said when this happened to mine - a bit of copper pipe and two jubilee clips will soon sort it for you and allow you to drive the car normally - just without the heater.

it will still pass the MOT like that as well if you need to get it done!

if you're doing it yourself then set at least a day aside. it will probably take you less, but it's a fiddly job - not difficult just annoying when finding annoyingly placed screws/clips etc. also worth getting hold of some new bowden cables while you're there to be sure you don't have to re-visit the area again.

I did ours just before Christmas. You'll need to take all the underlay out from under the carpets too. We gave ours a wash out in the bath to get the coolant out otherwise they will never dry. It amazing how much water they hold. I compared the GSF matrix one to the original one in the car and they looked exactly the same and were both Valeo ones.

The car actually passed it's MOT yesterday. I tried and failed to bypass the matrix (both hoses have green plastic clips which I couldn't dislodge at all). Hence just topped up, drove 1 mile to the test centre and crossed my fingers. Someone must have been smiling on me yesterday :) I'm now away on holiday and business for the next 6 weeks so I'll leave the car parked up and come back to it in early May. At that time I'll make a decision on what to do next.

Just a thought. Would be worth draing any coolant remaining in the system in case it leaks through the matrix into the car.