Fulltimejunglist

Wont start, buzzing at the fuse box/relays.

My car wont start, when i try it puts the revs too around 2krpm (Only on the clock, no noise or attempt to start wont turn over or make a noise) if i turn the ignition off the back on it come back up to around 3krpm, if i leave the key in turned to the right, it does the same, the revometer goes up to around 3krpm but wont do a thing, my fuse box buzzes, im not sure if this is a relay or soe wirigin issue i may have encounterd.

I recently fitted remote centeral locking but this seemed to work fine before now, its just when she tries to go she does nothing.

Is there any particular reason my fuxe box or relays would be buzzin at me? Could this be due to a particular problem?

The problem started when it would only start occasionally, if i kept trying it would eventually go, now it just sits lonley with no life.

I dont know if this is any help but, the digital display goes faded when it doesnt start, also my radio no longer works, which is weird as 2 days ago this worked fine, the light it on but it wont turn on or eject a cd...

Have battery, plus i charged it last night....

Please, any help would be great, anythig to help me get her going again.

Cheers people

Aidan

A silly suggestion, but...... Have you checked to see if any on the power cables are loose??

The only reason I ask is that I had exactly the same issue, bought a new battery, new relays & new ignition barrel, turned out that the bolt on the main power supply to the starter motor was loose!!

A quick easy check, and at least it eliminates the potential problem

I have checked them they seem fine plus bits on the dash work, so power is traveling to her but shes not using it to get going.

What wires dd you find caused you the problem?

Sorry but im not a mechanic just a dub head.

Thanks for that mate, anything is better then nothing....

If you follow the red cable from the battery terminal, it bolts onto the starter motor - The connection on the starter was loose on mine, the car had power but when it came to try and start the thing as the connection was loose it was just arcing and therefore I lost required amount of power to click the solenoid & fire up the starter!!

I'm definitely not a mechanic, but keeping a Bay Window, Bug & Corrado on the road I've learned how to bodge things :-)

(just thought..... Mines a VR6, haven't a clue about any other models!!)

aha cheers mate, its a kr... unfortunatly.

Their attatched fine but their pretty dirty, i will give them a clean tomorow when i have more time, see if that helps with things, also theres one wire which leads from my positive to underneath the engine, can i get to this easily as at the moment i cant jack my car up safley...

Im asuming this would be the one i need to check but at the moment i cant get to it.

Its on grass, which is wet and pretty soft... plus it doesnt start.

No one seems to be able to help me with what is causing my car to not start...

All wires had a live when i checked them last (As it hasnt started for about 2 months)

I have no money which has left me unable to buy a new starter motor etc...

I also run out of tax at the end of the month and as i have no mot so i need to fix her within the next week or two in order to actually keep her from the DVLA.

Edited by Fulltimejunglist

which relays are buzzing, numbers?

If the relay is buzzing it may need replacing. Is it turning over but not firing? Could be the fuel pump relay isnt working causing no fuel to get through.

12 relay and number its numberd 67.

I also think my distributor is buzzing, anyone know if they do, can and whether this means anything.

Yea it turns over sometimes and does nothing, sometimes it just clicks at me.

Cheers critical mass.

67 is the fuel pump relay! I'm sure I had this problem but I don't know how I sorted it because i ended up replacing the whole loom sorry :/

The main problem was the immobiliser that was bodged in, I took that out but the wiring was beyond repair, can't be of more help than that sorry!

aha cheers anyway, im hoping that if it is wires then i can ust fix them individually tbh.

Havnt got an imobilier but i wouldnt be supprised if it has had something at somepoint throughout its life.

There are cables which do nothing hang around under the dash, sod knows what they were for...

These are not causing my problem.

Itis still buzzing at the relay and i think its buzzing at the dizzy

Annoying me alot.

Have you changed the fuel pump relay yet?

Ive got a working spare if you want to try it, i could pop over tomorrow night and take a look?

ive got one orderd now, should be here tomorow hopefully...

then ill have to see what it sayng.

Could give it a try if your up for it mate.

Think i saw your car the other day tbf mate..

Cheers for that too.

You got a vr?

I really dont think i was born to have a working car.

I attempted to fit my new starter motor today, raining and in the dark, not the best but o well.

It came off really easily, 2 bolts...

Then when i went to put it back on the bracket at the back which holds the bolts in had slipped down by about 1/2 - 1cm i didnt realise at first but then relaised, i tried to push it back up but it didnt seem to move up at all.

One, how do i get it to go up?

and 2, did i miss something like another bolt for the bracket?

there is one on the engine mount but i didnt fancy an engine on the face so i left them all done up.

Looks at if the bracket is mounted to the front engine mount, from what i can see.

its a 1.8 16v for anyone who is willing to help me out.

Any help would be very nice.

Cheers, Aidan

Hiya, very common problem it happened to me both times when I got the starter motor out, you can either jack the engine till it aligns(spreading the load with wood), or have used a engine/gearbox brace in the first place, make sure you are paying close attention to the holes and are not overjacking it, the mounts are mostly designed for downwards weight and I always feel dodgy overloading them upwards.

cheers mate, i did try and use a hammer and wedje it inbetween and lower the jac to raise it but it seemed to push it away from the hole at the same time as moving it up...

I could fit a screw driver through but not the bolts.

There a pain in the arse to get in.

Ill try jacking the engine up to get it to raise it a little.

Its hard as my car is too low, i have to use a widow maker to get it onto the trolley jack and it feels insane to put it on axle stands as itl end up sitting pretty much up right, i dont even think the jack will go that high...

Not a chance of using ramps as it would jsut push them out the way.

Nice one and thanks alot rowan, ill give it a go.

As if its not already on axle stands?! You should always work on axle stands and then you can feel safer being underneath and have a better look, its better if you have it in the air I can't imagine it being done well without axle stands, do a proper job and it saves time I have found than when you try and quickly do things, there is a sweet spot on the engine when you position the jack underneath it will go towards the aligning, have you not supported the engine? you do realise that there is practically no support after removing the starter motor bolts? thats why your front has sagged out of alignment!

Its not what I wanted to do but when doing so much work on my car i decided i needed to spend out on a decent jack! it helps loads :)

Drive on 2 planks of wood to get the car up enough to fit a proper jack under it. and as rowan says use axel stands while under.

i used a trolley jack i thought i had mentioned.

As i said y axel stands are too high well seem it, litterally looks insane jacked up and its not even high enough to fit them under.

I had jacked the car with the trolley jack and no i had not supported the engine as i figured the 3 engine mounts would hold that in place...

My jack is a low profile jack (About 3 inches clearance) i use widow makers to get it onto that jack aha...

I appologise, if my knowledge of cars mechanics are pretty poor, i mainly work on it because i have no money and i love Corrados and in order to own one, i have to fix it.

I only worked out which bit of metal was the starter motor about 7 days ago.

But as ive said before i like to do my work myself as i can kind of trust it and its alot cheaper.

Havin it broken for 85% of the time does make me want to give in though but when i go out and look at it i realise why i own it.

Where on the engine is this spot, sump?

Thanks for the advice. Seriously.

Aaha and my car would not drive over anything, just push it along.

Edited by Fulltimejunglist

Well the mounts do hold it in place but most of what connects the engine at the front is them long bolts that go through the starter, gearbox and into the front mounting bracket.

Where are you putting the axle stands on the car?

the sump is the curved bottom of the main engine block and it contains all of the oil.

Its good to do things yourself but always reading up on things before starting is a must as there is always someone before you who has had the same problem :)

I know i asked but no one answerd so i just attempted to do it as i figured it wouldnt be too hard to put two bolts back in, which i was wrong about...

aha.

I have now fitted the starter motor and the fuel relay and it still just turns over and wont start...

When the car ran it was fine, there seemed to be a small leak from a water pipe on the right of the engine, by the warm up valve, pipe going into the engine i think?

This only seemed to trickle drops occasionally, i did take it apart and the pipe looked fine so im not sure how or why it was leaking, the only thing which made me think this may be a problem as there are wires and connectors for the thermotime switch and warm up valve (I just googled what they were)

They seem fine but may have got a little wet at points 9Definatly dry by now).

Other than that there seems to be a buzzing from the distributor, i think, as its hard to hear as its parked on a main road (Loud traffic constantly, no one too listen for the location of the buzz) Im pretty sure its not the isv as that buzzed when the car worked fine.

Im at the last straws now, ive tried everything in my knowledge to try and get it working and it just wont go...

Im really in need of a car and getting rid of it would pretty much break my car heart so i really want to get it going as much as possible as its beggining to only be a pain in the arse.

I know we all take s*** sometimes but for the whole time ive owned this (2 years) its broken and broken and broken, ive litterally never been able to trust it for a long drive and its never even given me the time for many short drives...

Just money money money....

The car cost me £800 and ive spent alot more than that attempting to get it to a slightly reliable state and it just wont budge.

Any other suggestions on why it will turn over but not start would be much appreciated, thanks...

Aidan

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

I eventually put it on axle stands and jacked the engine up how you said, still the top bolt wouldnt go in for ages even with the other bolt in...

Not only that but the place sent me the wrong starter motor TWICE....

Automatic one first, then some other one... usless.