poll250

Shorted starter motor?

I had the front end off yesterday to do a few tidying up jobs, one included sorting out a new reverse switch. While doing the bolt up I managed to short the starter motor on I guess something that was earthed, lots of sparks etc.

Now when I go to start the car nothing happens. Does anyone wise have a suggestion as to what I've done!? Blown a fuse or relay?

What do you mean by nothing happens? Do the ignition lights come on as normal? Does the car crank but not fire, or not crank at all? When you try to crank the engine over do the ignition lights go out or stay on? If you can give a few more details that'd be good :)

Oops yeah I should of clarified a touch!

The dash lights come on as normal, turn the key and it doesn't crank or anything, fuel pump didn't prime.

I'd say you might have damaged the ECU but even then the car should crank, you need to check the plug on the starter solenoid for 12V when the key is turned first, if you don't get anything then maybe an alarm issue or you've melted the ignition switch or wiring?

Eugh! This is the last thing I need at the moment! I was trying to FIX all the little things wrong with the car, not create new ones.

Will have to go round with a multimeter this evening and see if I can spot anything amiss. Is there any way to test if the ECU is working (without VAGCOM)

If it's all gone tits up I guess it's a good excuse to go OBD2...

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Does anyone have a photo of where the main earth lead from the battery is mean't to mount? A bad earth may be part of my problem.

I dont have a photo, but the battery earth goes straight down onto the battery support then goes from there to the started earth point.

Ok bit of progress tonight:turns out I'd unplugged the single pin connector on the starter so I could screw the reverse switch in!

Car now turns over but doesn't fire. The fuel pump doesn't seem to be priming. Also, does anyone know what the 3 10Amp fuses 11-13 from the left do?

One of them had blown so I replaced it, still no joy :(

11 and 12 are high beam left and right and 13 is the horn

As for fuel pump priming I would check your fuel pump relay (#67) bottom row of relays second from the right

Thanks bud! That'd explain why my horn stopped working a while ago! Well jump started it earlier and it started! :) May just get a new battery to be on the safe side as it's well over 4 years old.

maybe next time you'll disconnect the battery lol

Yeah I knew I probably should, but didn't want to have to go through the whole ecu reset procedure again. Oh well, live and learn!