Sign in to follow this  
kebabman

New owner

Hi all, just chopped my 306gti6 for a 94 VR6 in ice grey violet (lovely colour! looks expensive to match though). So far i've been very pleased with the car, especially the noise! :D

It's standard as far as i can tell, bar a scorpion backbox and drilled front discs. Just wondering if there's anything in particular bar the usual things that i should check before i start driving it properly? :twisted: its a high miler (120k!), although it has fvwsh. Also any 'must-do' mods that come highly recomended? I notice the headlights are a bit poor on dipped but have already read the thread on that one :wink: also its got the (standard) 205/50/R15 speedline 5 spoke rims on it which look too small for the car....are 16s the way forwards as a compromise between looks/handling? What offset should i be looking for?

Sorry for all the questions! I've tried to have a look around before asking too many :wink:

Quick question about the handling also.....i've been told by several mates that as the corrado has a beam axle at the rear rather than independant trailing rear arms like the pug that the back can be more 'snatchy' and prone to breaking away suddenly under heavy cornering rather than progressivly? Is this true? i have to say i havent pushed it as hard as the 6 yet because im not really used to it but it feels pretty planted. Also i have BF Goodrich Profiler G tyres on it (not my choice!) which im not sure about....although hopefully when i go to elvington on the 6th of march i will a) answer some of these questions for myself and b) remove all the tread from my tyres so i have an excuse to buy a nice new set of F1s for it hehe :)

Only gripe, I miss 6th gear!

Cheers, happy motoring 8)

Welcome.

upgrade the headlight loom and bulbs...that will enable you to see again!

16"s look good and handle really well. offset depends on width, standard VR6 offset is high...ET 46. An ET in the mid 30's should be fine though if you go for a 16x7 inch wheel

dont worry about the suspension not being as 'cutting edge' as the pug. i have pushed the c pretty hard and it has never miss behaved and im coming from a CRX 'go-kart' handling!!

If you really want to improve the suspension put a rear ARB on. nuspeed do a good one for about £150...really sorts things out!!

have fun driving!!! 8)

welcome aboard mate, another Oxford lad on the forum :D

where abouts in Oxford buddy? I'll look out for you.(i'm on the Cowley road)

I've never had any probs with the back end, but others might be able to enlighten you more.

I agree about the speedlines, i'm looking for 17"s

mines done just under 125K, and haven't had anything serious come up in its history, although the timing chains might start at this age (apparantly).

The only thing you'll probably have trouble with is the electronics/sensors, no matter how bomb proof the engine is, these things tend to die after 10 years, so most problems can (hopefully) be traced back to this area.

Have fun mate, and hopefully someone can answer ya questions in full.

Cheers,

Thera.

(BTW you seen the white C on the ring road near the Green Road roundabout? 8) )

[hijack thread]

mines done just under 125K, and haven't had anything serious come up in its history, although the timing chains might start at this age (apparantly)

im pretty sure mine are making the horrid noises in my engine bay at the mo :( . coupl eof hundred to get them sorted though so its not the end of the world

[/hijack thread] :wink:

uhhh, have you been quoted on that mate???

I think you'll find its a bit (LOTS) more than £200, to change the head gasket and the chains was gonna cost £1,300 at Stealth, £2000+ from the stealer.

Cheers lads, I'm from just out of town over in Eynsham and i work on the Banbury Road. Seen a couple of C's about, really nice greeny one on the Botley Road the other day, and the white on you're on about, parked on the left coming from Cowley just before the green road roundabout?....Your's is looking good, like the de-badged grill! Will keep an eye out for ya round cowley and give u a flash if i see you :) Where did you get that bit that goes above the headlights? Add a certain mean-ness to the front end :twisted:

Hope my chain tensioners are alright! Engine sounds good, what should i listen for?

Any oxford area meet ups? 8)

I used to work in Eynsham (Oxford Instruments) and on the BAnbury Road (Oxford Uni) :D

my mates got a green VR6, personalised plate A(something something) but I thought it was off the road TBH, so might be another one.

From what i've seen, there are about 6 C's in Oxford, but I see them very rarely.

Yeah, thats the white one, always parked next to the car lot place, on the left (coming from cowley)

The 'thing' above the head lights is an Eyebrow, a Rieger Eyebrow to be precise. it'll set ya back around 70 to 80 notes, then a tenner for paint :) (thats the grill and brow, one unit)

Theres a couple of peeps who meet up in MK (Milton Keynes) which is just down the road, and you have AMD in Bicester, which do alot of mods for C's, so you often get people meeting there, but they have started jacking up their prices so dunno what'll happen with them :p

Cheers

Ah cool, gotta get me one of them, am having the front bumper resprayed on the 15th anyway as its convered in stone chips so i could get an eyebrow painted up at the same time for nothing probably :) Where's the best place to get one from?

I work for the uni on banbury road! OUCS to be precise.......shame this AMD place are putting up they're prices up just as i get a C, just up the road as well :cry:

I worked in the department of nuclear, particle and astro physics next to kebble.

The best place to get one is where I got mine, http://www.tuning.co.uk/rieger/ that was 82 quid delivered (65 for the grill + VAT +P&P), everywhere else is quite a bit more expensive, and it is a geuine Rieger (with the bright pink instruction book, that you can't understand cos its in german ;))

Yeah, is shame about AMD, I wanted a rechip, but the price has just gone from 250 to 350, so I think i'll steer clear on principle.

Have fun mate, and I'd recommend getting the grill painted at the same time as the bumper, saves hassle, I painted mine myself, turned out very good IMO, but would save you the effort

huh, just checked the site and they're 72 quid now, still cheaper than anywhere else though (I think)

Welcome to the forum Kebabman!

I have an Ice Grey Violet VR too, codenamed Nice Gay Violet on here :lol:

Quick link to the members gallery: http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3374

As you'll see, colour matching Ice Grey is no sweat. You'll notice I've colour coded the side trims and door handles with spray cans and the match is pretty good!

As for lowering, mine's been dropped 35mm and the Speedlines don't look quite as small when the arches are bit closer to them!

I'd spend money on the necessities first and then you can spend money on the niceties!

At 125K you'll be wanting to have the timing chaing tensioners checked and the rear axle bushes.

I'll be at Stealth on the 13th March (Saturday) having the rear axle bushes done if you want to come along and see what's required? Stealth are only a stone's throw from you!

Cheers

Kev

to change the head gasket and the chains was gonna cost £1,300 at Stealth, £2000+ from the stealer.

:shock: what :shock: i mean the chain tensioners top and bottom, i thought i heard the £200 - £300 figure discussed when talking about this?

to change the head gasket and the chains was gonna cost £1,300 at Stealth, £2000+ from the stealer.

:shock: what :shock: i mean the chain tensioners top and bottom, i thought i heard the £200 - £300 figure discussed when talking about this?

£200 is what the chains and tensioners cost mate. You need to factor in considerably more for labour! Just a chain/tensioner change I would reckon on circa £600.

I'll be doing mine myself when they let go! No way am I paying that!

is it a job that can be done at the same time as a clutch? would that make it easier / cheaper?

Yeah doing the clutch at the same time is a good idea and saves you in the long run. May aswell take the box off once and not twice!

P.S Better PM me otherwise we'll get moaned at for thread hi-jacking :lol:

I used to have a 306XSI and found that it handled well till you really pushed it then it just used to let go!!!

I dont really know what my v6 handles like yet cos i have probs with my suspension!!

Hi Mate & welcome to corrado ownership :)

One the the first mods I did was lowering the car, handle alot better, but I would say to get a half decent spring/damper combo as OE shocks die, like myn have :( H&R are good, if your budget can go as far as coilovers then go for it!

Recomend the lupo wiper conv & uprated loom..

I'm from MK & we'll be organising another meet when the weathers nicer, pop down if you can.... :)

I'm from MK & we'll be organising another meet when the weathers nicer, pop down if you can.... :)

I feel a convoy (2 cars :()from Oxford is order :)

There is literally only a few, I see one every 2-3 weeks, if that.

Did see a nasty red VR (I think, no badges) on Cowley road last night, someone had stuck a huge bumper on the back, made the a*se look MASSIVE :roll: :nono:

['H3R4POR]
I'm from MK & we'll be organising another meet when the weathers nicer' date=' pop down if you can.... :)[/quote']

I feel a convoy (2 cars :()from Oxford is order :)

Up for that! :)

['H3R4POR]huh' date=' just checked the site and they're 72 quid now, still cheaper than anywhere else though (I think)[/quote']

Ordered one, was £82 all in, cheers! 8)

As for lowering, mine's been dropped 35mm and the Speedlines don't look quite as small when the arches are bit closer to them!

I'd spend money on the necessities first and then you can spend money on the niceties!

At 125K you'll be wanting to have the timing chaing tensioners checked and the rear axle bushes.

I'll be at Stealth on the 13th March (Saturday) having the rear axle bushes done if you want to come along and see what's required? Stealth are only a stone's throw from you!

Cheers

Kev

Thanks mate :) Are these things i can check myself (I'd give myself a 3.5 out of 5 heynes rating, lol) or do i need to pay a garage? I'm always nervous about trusting mechanics! As for the 13th of march that sounds excellent! Where about is stealh??

Cheers, Alex :)

Cheers jim! Bit different to the SSC this place isn't it! Went off on one at that lad the other day didn't i lol, wound me up proper with his "my vts would kill your big boxey heap of crap, and its not a proper car becuase its FWD" shite....ah well :lol: