Scott-mk3

Corrado Storm - Another Rescued

I love this thread, the results are coming thru after a ton of hard work, well done. OK, quick (and basic.....) question.....when you flushed thru the cooling system as shown in the picture on page 2 do i take it that you put the hose in the bottom pipe and then it came out of the header hose? Is the pressure from the hose strong enough to get the water around or can you run the engine at the same time to speed it on its way with the pump running? Sorry if this is a daft question but every day i learn a bit more! Presumably you could run the engine as the water jacket has a supply of water running around it.......

This is a top thread, sorry about the crack pipe, but we have all had to do that one at some point! My only tip - off with the rear wiper!

Yeah gutter about the pipe but not to worry have had to replace one before on my golf vr6 so used to the job. Took the rear wiper off on my old nugget but keeping this one totally standard.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Excellent work pity about the crack pie but thats sods law!!

Where are you getting your parts from at trade ? TPS ??

P/M me if you want !!

Typical indeed but as said could be worse and atleast its not too big a job. I get all my parts from the dealer...well i give my girlfriend the part numbers and she gets them i should say. She works for Volkswagen and Toyota so staff get them at trade or sometime its trade plus 10%. Struggling with part numbers sometimes now though as my ETKA wont work with my new laptop. Need to try and get another copy as i use it alot lol.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Amazing skills there, I wish I has the time/tools/knowledge to do stuff like this!

Cheers man. Having the right tools makes it so much easier. I have everything i need but i did the chains at my mates house whos a fully trained mechanic and he has lots of nice snap on goodies which made things so much quicker. Made me want to fork out for some more tools.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

I love this thread, the results are coming thru after a ton of hard work, well done. OK, quick (and basic.....) question.....when you flushed thru the cooling system as shown in the picture on page 2 do i take it that you put the hose in the bottom pipe and then it came out of the header hose? Is the pressure from the hose strong enough to get the water around or can you run the engine at the same time to speed it on its way with the pump running? Sorry if this is a daft question but every day i learn a bit more! Presumably you could run the engine as the water jacket has a supply of water running around it.......

Not at all mate. I flushed it out by running the hose in the bottle expansion tank pipe with no expansion tank on. I then also did it with the radiator on and into one of the thermostat housing pipes. Wasnt untill i had the full system back together and tank in place that i ran the engine to flush it. I ran the engine and just put the hose in the expansion tank to allow it to run through and overflow however not for too long as didnt want to be putting cold water in it once the engine had heated up.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Really really good thread this mate, keep up the good work!

Shall do man! Crack pipe and all other bits came in today but didnt manage to pick them up so thatl be something to go and get on thursday when im free.

OK thanks for that, as said this is a great thread but if you get 10 mins have a look at this one i got from the golk mk2 site it's brilliant.....http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4828

OK thanks for that, as said this is a great thread but if you get 10 mins have a look at this one i got from the golk mk2 site it's brilliant.....http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4828

Thats the type of threads i like to see. This one wasnt quite as bad as that in the first place. I did a black mk2 golf 2 summers ago and loved the wee car,shouldnt of got rid of it. Was a black 3 door GTI(sadly only 8v) but only had 79k on it and was mint big bumper edition.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Well today it was nice and sunny out and i decided to spend some time on the car instead of being stuck inside doing work on the computer.

Started on the inside and the outside as well. Pretty happy the way its going and had one compliment already from a neighbour who thought it had just been fully painted with the way it looks :)

So as always pictures to keep the thread going, cant beat them:

DSC00483.jpg

DSC00484.jpg

DSC00485.jpg

DSC00486.jpg

DSC00487.jpg

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00489.jpg

DSC00490.jpg

Inside was hooved with my henry and all black work treated with meguiars protective shine(not seen this in the uk i bought it in america)

Havent treated the leather yet just given it a good wipe down but looks good i think.

Next was time to bring out the good old trusty machine polisher! Using a meguiars pad on it and start at low setting 1 and work upto setting 3 once the polish is deminished and back down to 1 again to reduce any marring or streaks.

Compound wise im using meguiars Dual Action Cleaner polish number 83. Have used it many times and really would reccommend it. Works well on darker colours or pearls aswell as i used it on my old golf vr6 which was black magic pearl(LC9Z)

DSC00491.jpg

Bonnet after machined

DSC00494.jpg

Passenger wing reflection

DSC00495.jpg

99% swirl free paintwork. Excuse the small marks,i should have wiped the compound dust off.

DSC00498.jpg

Reflection shot

DSC00500.jpg

Only got the 2 wings,bonnet and drivers door done before it got a bit dark so packed up for the night. Shall maybe do some more tomorrow,if not will be sunday i think before i get time again.

Nice pics fella, noticed from the pics your missing the pedal cover off your clutch, a pair of new ones can be had off ebay for cheap if you decide you need a pair

Nice pics fella, noticed from the pics your missing the pedal cover off your clutch, a pair of new ones can be had off ebay for cheap if you decide you need a pair

Ha! i was waiting for someone to pic up on this. Iv got a new one on order from VW, get it on saturday!

Haha they can be a bugger to fit, warm it up first

Yeah can be a right pain indeed iv had to do them before. Fitted TT pedals before and they are alot easier.

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Got the new parts for the coolant system today so no more issues on that front. Shall get them fitted soon,think ill possibly finish the polishing first though seen the weathers staying nice. Can always do the crack pipe and that in the garage.

DSC00501.jpg

Decided if i was doing the crack pipe and thermostat housing etc that i might as well change the oil cooler while im in about that area and saves having to take the front end off twice. One nice new oil cooler and seal ready to fit:

DSC00504.jpg

Think im going to get this and the other bits fitted tomorrow so i can then get the car in for its MOT soon as possible.

Got a new clutch rubber as well as the other had a small slit in it. Just keeping it tidy and up to the standard of the rest of the interior.

Part:

DSC00502.jpg

And fitted. Brake pedal ones not got much wear on it. Might give the accelerator a coat of black paint just to freshen it up:

DSC00503.jpg

Battered on with more of the machine polishing today but still not finished it. Have done everything apart from the passenger door,front bumper and grill so need to get them finished next. Finished the bits i had done off with P21S Concours wax and then chemical guys sealant to keep it nice and shiney.

Far away shots dont look much different:

DSC00505.jpg

DSC00506.jpg

Some close ups:

DSC00507.jpg

DSC00508.jpg

DSC00509.jpg

DSC00510.jpg

Going to try and get the black side strips and roof strips back on soon. Got them off coated in wd40 to get them nice and black again.

Probably more progress tomorrow.

Just incase your interested ive fitted a mk1 accelerator pedal rubber like this one off ebay fits nicely and hides the rusty pedal

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOLF-MK1-MK2-3-POLO-CAB-CADDY-ACCELORATOR-PEDAL-RUBBER-/350449658270?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51986d699e

Cheers for the heads up man,always wondered what fitted to put over the metal pedal,good to see it fits others as well. Very handy. Dont suppose youve got a part number for it though and i could just get one from VW.

Afraid i dont fella but im sure you could send the bloke on ebay a message to get the part number off him

So today i had planned to get the oil cooler and thermostat housing etc all done but that ended when i went to take out the bolts for the bumper bars that i remebered i did them up with my mates impact gun and so they were too tight to get off as i didnt have my long breaker bar with me. Shall get that all done soon though.

Instead of a wasted day i cracked on with the rest i still had to do.

Decided to whip all the wheels off,clean inside the arches and paint up the areas on the discs which had surface rust so it all looked a bit tidyer.

Here goes:

DSC00514.jpg

DSC00516.jpg

DSC00519.jpg

DSC00520.jpg

Thought id also take a pic to show just how solid it is around the common areas for crumpling etc. Can really tell its been all main dealer on the ramp work before the fact is looks like a trolley jack has never seen under here other than me now.

DSC00515.jpg

DSC00517.jpg

Outside wise i got most of the car finished and only have the front bumper and grill left to machine polish but shall do that when the bumpers off.

Got the rub strips back on and the roof strips clipped back in now that theyve had a few days to sit and absorb lots of stuff to make them nice and black again.

DSC00524.jpg

DSC00525.jpg

DSC00526.jpg

Next update should hopefully be oil cooler and that done and then get the MOT booked.

For Sale!!!!!!!!

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=373230

Didn`t last long whats happened ???

Lol yeah man as much as i love it i do this with all my cars,pile lots of money in and get them the way i want them and sell them to get stuck into something else. Did it with my nugget corrado and my last vr6 golf as well as you may have seen. Next on the cards will be a mk2 golf project, 20v turbo or vr6 turbo build thread.

Im in no rush to get rid of this though as i know it will hold its value with the condition its in.

Up this morning and on with what i still had to do to get the rado completed. Got the new oil cooler and crack pipe,thermostat housing and thermostat fitted no bother. Glad i did the oil cooler as looked a bit scabby and past it. More nice new parts on it.

Flushed the coolant system before the new parts were on with coolant flush and then filled it back up with 2 bottle of G12++ and water. Nice and pink again!

Got pics but there sadly not the best as light was very poor in the garge and was raining outside.

here goes:

Old cooler about to come off,crack pipe off already:

DSC00527.jpg

One nice new oil cooler fitted:

DSC00529.jpg

DSC00530.jpg

New thermostat housing ready to be fitted back on with sensors all in with new o rings. Gave them a clean up as were a bit grubby.:

DSC00531.jpg

Fitted:

DSC00532.jpg

All new bits fitted:

DSC00535.jpg

Fresh pink again:

DSC00538.jpg

Took a pic of the under bonnet sunproofing as well as relised how good nick its in still!

DSC00541.jpg

All ready for its MOT now so thatll be next week when i get time to take it down and wait as i dont trust leaving my cars with garages.

Shall get it taxed start of april for any potential buyers as well.

Pictures once the sun comes back out as i also finished machine polishing the front bumper and grill and wax and sealed them with the same stuff i used on the car.

All ready for its MOT in the Morning so took it a wee drive and gave it a quick rinse ready to go. As always im a big picture person for threads so heres a total picture overload since i never really got to put ones up of it finished.

Had intended to take the manifold off again and spray it to freshen it up as i reckon it would really improve the engine bay but never got around to it.

Here goes:

DSC00554.jpg

DSC00555.jpg

DSC00556.jpg

DSC00557.jpg

DSC00558.jpg

DSC00560.jpg

DSC00562.jpg

DSC00563.jpg

DSC00564.jpg

DSC00565.jpg

DSC00567.jpg

DSC00568.jpg

DSC00569.jpg

DSC00570.jpg

DSC00571.jpg

DSC00573.jpg

DSC00575.jpg

DSC00582.jpg

DSC00583.jpg

Caliper was causing improper brake balance on the rear so whapped off the rear caliper and fitted another which was working perfectly.

Once the old one was off noticed why it was being caused,the rubber boot for the piston was mangled so dirt must have been getting in. Nice fully functional caliper fitted and all back together now.

Excuse the photos,ended up working till after dark last night to try get it all done.

DSC00593.jpg

DSC00594.jpg

DSC00596.jpg

Just need to get the caliper paint out again now so the caliper ties in with the carrier and the other 3 brakes!

So all the work finally payed off and it rolled out with this today!

Fresh MOT till next April! No advisorys and got a load of comments about it at the garage i got it MOT'd

motcompressed.jpg

Sadly was raining the day i took it down for its MOT so got slightly dirty. Didnt get a chance to clean it so today sorted that.

Got the brake that i fitted painted up to match the rest as well.

Cleaned in the spare wheel well as it had rusty brake dust from when i first used it when i got the car.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

Looks nice, but impact gun on the bumper bar...... why???

Also underside may have seen many trolley jacks! Using wood between the jack and floorpan tends to leave no marks :D

Looks nice, but impact gun on the bumper bar...... why???

Also underside may have seen many trolley jacks! Using wood between the jack and floorpan tends to leave no marks :D

Makes things a hell of a lot quicker. Especially if working underneath. Not exactly an air impact gun either.

Even still with wood iv seen many dodgy underneath. I was clearly stating it had never been improperly jacked up causing crushed sills like many suffer!