Scott-mk3

Corrado Storm - Another Rescued

Well i thought id finnally start a thread on here about my storm as i no longer have my nugget build.

Was told about this in my local town to my surprise that i had never seen it even though passing the area nearly every day!

Went door chapping to try and find the owner and the situation and a few days later got possesion of it and brought it home. This was around july last year. Cant believe iv had it that long now,times flown in.

Pretty much a short run down of it:

M plate storm with 98k Miles on it and 2 previous owners me now the third. Guy i got it from bought it from down south circa 2001 so had it a good few years but sadly it was put off the road late 2009ish.

DSC_0359.jpg

Full VW service history right up until its last service of 89k. All documented with the service book & Dealer reciepts. Car really has been pampered all its life looking through the history.

Interior is immaculate in it and once i gave it a good clean am very impressed. Bodywork had a few imperfections but nothing i couldnt resolve or pull a few favours in for from my mate who painted my nugget.

Heres a very bad photo of how i got it but was in a bit of a rush to get it transported from where it was sitting:

06062010017.jpg?t=1300377383

So once i had it back home gave it a good gutting to see what i was to start with.

Wheels were badly corroded so a refurb was 100% on the cards along with new tyres.

Usual stuff like brakes from lying also needed done but this was no big issue.

Drivers wing had sufferered some corrosion around the indicator so didnt bothered about trying to fix the rust just went for a whole new wing. Sourced one on here in mint condition and had it sprayed up nice and fresh and sealed on the inside. Beautiful colour mystic blue when its fresh paint!

Pics from once id given it its first good gutting which took a good days work:

DSC_2616.jpg?t=1300376435

DSC_2620.jpg?t=1300376591

DSC_2622.jpg

Starting setting about ordering parts i was going to replace on it and the list began

New disks and pads all round

New rear wheel bearings

New windscreen

Drivers Wing

Wheels refurbished

New tyres

Clutch kit

New arial & base plate

New Metal Impellar water pump

Full service kit (NGK Plugs, Genuine Filters etc)

New Registration plateS (Although have kept the old dealer printed ones)

So after some of that work was done it began to look the way its sitting more today. Inside the arches i gave a full clean with degreaser and sealed them to protect from the weather. Gave the shocks and springs a clean up too seen as they are quite noticeable at standard ride height arch gap

How it has been sitting just now :

DSC_0379-1.jpg

DSC_0382.jpg

DSC_0386-1.jpg

DSC_0358.jpg

DSC_0409.jpg

DSC_0410.jpg

For peace of mind and being used to working on VR6 engines for a while now iv decided that it was time to do the chains and tensioners etc on the engine. Give it a full collant flush at the same time too. Down to the dealers again where i seem to be all the time now for parts,luckily my girlfriends works for VW which is handy.

Bought the following:

10 Litres Quantum Oil

3 Litres G12++ Coolant

Few bottle of Coolant Flush

all parts to do the chains,tensioners and guides

New Coolant bottle to freshen up the bay a bit

Few odds and ends clips etc

So this weekend will be getting set about completing that and then in the next few weeks will be firing it in for its MOT which iv no worries about at all and reckon it will pass first time.

Was struggling on a place to store it for a while but luckily now have a nice space in my girlfriends parents garage so it shall be tucked away where i can give it a full detail for the summer weather. Tidy the engine bay up and get the paintwork as mint as possible.

Comments and criticism welcome,will update as i do more etc. Tempted to slightly lower it to reduce the crazy arch gap but going to leave it completly standard the way it should be.

Scott

scott-mk3,

nice looking car and really like the red brakes peeking through.

surely these motors are just a few years away from significantly increasing in value, it's a lot of car for your money.

keen to see your progress.

Nicely done. Always makes me happy to see another Corrado being saved by an enthusiast, and not just being broken for bits!

Cheers for the comments folks. Wouldnt of liked to break this with the potential it had and the way it is turning out.

Tomorrow shall see the chains, tensioners and guides and a few other wee bits and bobs done to it. Just hope the weather holds up as was snowing here only a few days ago!

DSC_0615.jpg

Such an innocent little pile of parts for what is such a b*stard of a job! :)

You're doing an excellent job, mate- it's really coming on. The interior looks superb 8) Wish I had the balls to do my chains!

Car looks fantastic mate. You are obviously a keen car cleaner, have you done a thread on DW about how you got it so clean inside and out? I'd be interested to read about the products you used.

Appreciated guys!

Was one of the things i wasnt 100% on first doing the chains but this will be my second time doing a set so should be no bother now and have the cam shaft locking tool for it now. Not too bad once you actually get to them to fit the new ones!

Havent got a thread on DW sadly but will happily post up the product etc i use. Will be giving it a full going over again next weekend hopefully once iv done the messy stuff and will do a sort of right up for that as should be spending a good while on it.

New header tank with cap was £27 im sure bud but remember all the stuff i buys at trade price,but shouldnt be much more. Did it in my last vr6,just makes the bay that little bit cleaner.

Will keep it updated. Shall have the camera on the go tomorrow.

• Like 1

So managed to get the chains and all that done today. Nice sunny day thankfully. Got it all back in and just need to finish doing the cooling system in the morning with new coolant and bottle.

Started to take pics and after only 3 pics my battery died! Had to just use my phone as wanted evidence that they had been done as well as parts receipts.

Nice fresh new parts and oil in it now. Took the sump off and cleaned out in there too while i was doing it all.

Any way let some pics do the talking. Finish it off tomorrow so its back on the road and i can set about cleaning the whole thing inside and out. Going to take the inlet back off later and freshen it up.

DSC_0620.jpg

DSC_0619.jpg

DSC_0621.jpg

Cams all locked in place:

DSC00425.jpg

All the old parts off:

DSC_0622.jpg

Old VS new

DSC00428.jpg

No more new parts packaged up

DSC00431.jpg

All the new parts fitted waiting to be cased back away.

DSC00429.jpg

DSC00430.jpg

DSC00432.jpg

Back in she goes:

DSC00433.jpg

Started to get a bit dark so whipped out the snap on lights to continue on for a bit but decided to call it a day a bit later on.

DSC00436.jpg

Couldnt have went any smoother really,everything came off fine and back together no bother. All gasketed/sealed up as it should be. Chains themself are the easy bit fitting them its just the stripping and building back up that takes the time really.

More tomorrow,hopefully find my camera charger for it.

Aw man im envious of your skills, you did your chains in a day!!!

Lovely storm man.

This is a top thread mate, keep up the good work! Would be very interested to know what polish you used, whether you used a polisher etc etc. Chains in one day? Respect!

All finsihed off today but ill post up more pictures etc once im back in later on.

To be honest man about the condition of the stuff that came off it was not bad atal. Me and my mate who was there,also a vw nut, actually thought should i of been chasngin them as they were hardly worn but on closer inspection there was a few small wear marks here and there. Wasnt expecting them to be bad though with the milage as my last VR had 132k on it and i never touched the chains.

Polish wise ill post up what i use when i give it a good detail in the next few weeks. Mostly Meguiars, P21S and the occasional Autoglym products but im not 100% keen on them.

Havent touched this with a machine polisher YET however shall be come the time i detail it. Need to order up some more compounds, this time will be Autosmart stuff as well however il be sticking to my well know and trusted stuff that iv used on other cars.

Shall update this later on tonight with todays work.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

So now iv got round to uploading the pics.

As i started this morning,nice and light again,sadly not as nice weather as yestarday. Still got on no bother though.

DSC00437.jpg

Wasnt far off back together now. Started to give the coolant system a good flush out here seen pipes werent all connected up. Ran the hose through the whole thing to clean it out. Let it on one pipe and run through out the other.

DSC00438.jpg

Radiator Back on,flushed out at the same time:

DSC00439.jpg

Mmm Nice fresh bottle and coolant. Two bottles of VW coolant put into it and filled up.

DSC00441.jpg

All back together,ready for the road again. Ready for its journey to girlfriends garage to keep it in now and give it a good cleaning session.

DSC00442.jpg

Just a quick snap:

DSC00443.jpg

Might be a few days or maybe next weekend before i do much more updating. Will be less mechanical work and more cleaning time. Wheels off,do in the arches etc again and inside of the wheels.

Scott

scott-mk3,

Respect!

Suspect this is going to be another quality storm by the time you are finished and it's great to see detailed pics.

I’ve just discovered that the engine is in the front of the corrado, never mind trying any of this kind of work myself, but still really good to read great threads like this to understand what I’m paying for when I hand my car over to the garage.

Great work.

Good work there impressive stuff to do that job on your drive. Did you manage to get a good deal on it from some old dear in Largs ??

Its threads like this that makes me want to get my finger out and get my car out the garage and on the road.Think I`m going to use it this summer I normally buy a bike for the odd summer day when its sunny up here,but this year the corrado is going to be my summer toy.

Getting fed up with the comfy refinement of the GTI too so going to get used to the old retro feel of the C.

Hope to see you on the road soon

scott-mk3,

Respect!

Suspect this is going to be another quality storm by the time you are finished and it's great to see detailed pics.

I’ve just discovered that the engine is in the front of the corrado, never mind trying any of this kind of work myself, but still really good to read great threads like this to understand what I’m paying for when I hand my car over to the garage.

Great work.

Hoping it should turn out like so,cant see why not with everything im doing to it and the condition of it.

Like getting stuck in doing things and no differnce here.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Good work there impressive stuff to do that job on your drive. Did you manage to get a good deal on it from some old dear in Largs ??

Its threads like this that makes me want to get my finger out and get my car out the garage and on the road.Think I`m going to use it this summer I normally buy a bike for the odd summer day when its sunny up here,but this year the corrado is going to be my summer toy.

Getting fed up with the comfy refinement of the GTI too so going to get used to the old retro feel of the C.

Hope to see you on the road soon

Not too long till its on the road now,will get its mot in the next couple of weeks. Want it to be mint for going into the dealership. The guy i bought it off is actually on here as a member. I found his account when i initially went to see the car. Said id start a thread of all the work i was going to do as he didnt want to see it being broken for parts. Lots of folk seemed to of been trying to get it. Have spoke to a few people i know and they have said about leeving notes on it etc but they were offering far to low a price. At the end of the day the guy knew what he had and i went in knowing how much i knew id need to spend on it with luckily not needing any labour costs.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Well gave it a very quick clean just so its not lying in the garage dirty till i get time to give it a full proper going over. Will do it properly in the next few weeks when time allows so i can get it exactly the way i want it. Also need to wait on a few new products coming to use on it.

Drove up the road sweet as a nut last night,such a change from my polo gti i drive as a daily. Actually nice to drive a non lowered car the way the roads are these days.

Got up this morning to take it out the garage to clean it and saw a very small puddle of pinkness under it. Straight away knew what it would be though. Coolant. When it was all put back in the crack pipe looked like it had seen better days however i never renewed it as it was still doing the job fine. However not to worry just allows for even more new bits to be fitted.

Have ordered a full new crack pipe, thermostat, thermostat full housing and all new O rings for that area so should be no issues at all! And also another 2 bottles of G12++ coolant seen ill no doubt loose so much draining the system to fit the new stuff. Not to worry though,all for the good of the car.

So pictures mid wash,nothing special but cant beat pics in the thread:

DSC00456.jpg

DSC00457.jpg

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00459.jpg

Nice and clean to be put back in the garage till the weekend.

DSC00474.jpg

DSC00476.jpg

DSC00473.jpg

I have the rub strips for the drivers side and the window seal for the front screen incase anyone wonders where it is,only off so it is easier for me to machine polish it come the time.

Scott

This is a top thread, sorry about the crack pipe, but we have all had to do that one at some point! My only tip - off with the rear wiper!

Excellent work pity about the crack pie but thats sods law!!

Where are you getting your parts from at trade ? TPS ??

P/M me if you want !!