JMC

Drivers door handles - anyone heard of this?

Just had a chat with GPC as I'm trying to track down a replacement drivers door handle after mine broke. I know these are rare as hens teeth, however they said that if I have an aftermarket alarm system (which has it's own actuators for the central locking) then I can use a handle which doesn't have the central locking wiring built in which are apparently still available and not overly expensive (£41+VAT). Anybody heard this before - sounds too good to be true?

Sounds like that should work to me... But what broke on your handle? if it's the knocker then get crazy Daves kit form here. Worth it's weight in gold!

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?10426-Door-handle-repair-kit..........THEY-ARE-NOW-AVAILABLE

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

If it's not the knocker that's busted then I could send you an early handle with the wiring for the central locking for the price of postage btw... I have a few old broken ones kicking about somewhere, you would just need to fit a new knocker and maybe the key barrel. :)

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

No, I've already replaced that part from daves kit. It was nother piece of metal that has died becuase of metal fatigue unfortunately. So it sounds as though it might make sense then...

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Aww hell, just realised I use mine on a mine of using the standard central locking (by the key) as well as the alarm, so this probably wont work :(

Just had a chat with GPC as I'm trying to track down a replacement drivers door handle after mine broke. I know these are rare as hens teeth, however they said that if I have an aftermarket alarm system (which has it's own actuators for the central locking) then I can use a handle which doesn't have the central locking wiring built in which are apparently still available and not overly expensive (£41+VAT). Anybody heard this before - sounds too good to be true?

I've not seen that before, aftermarket systems usually cut into the wiring to the control box as the VW system is vacuum operated, servo actuators are usually only used on manual locking systems, i.e. those that came without any central locking, no reason why you couldn't fit them instead of the vacuum system, might be a bit of a bodge compared to the factory mountings/fitment though, you'll end up with bits of mechano holding everything in.

No, I've already replaced that part from daves kit. It was nother piece of metal that has died becuase of metal fatigue unfortunately. So it sounds as though it might make sense then...

Well if you want that old handle for spare bits let me know :)

I'm sure emu on here has a whole raft of handles for sale just now, but not in classifieds.

Can't post a link as I don't know how to I'm afraid.

Editting - just checked it and they are all passengers. Might be worth PM'ing and seeing if by chance he has drivers?

Edited by jamiehamy
Added info

will have one later one. and yes, maybe it depends form alarm system but my one works perfect with old handle without central lock cable.

What I know is that alarm is wired into central locking system and will give signal to lock all the locks, cable in handle is needed only to give signal to central locking system when you turn key in handle lock if you use remote locking you don't need this cable.

Ah, you see I use the alarm fob, but also lock it by the handle occasionally, so I'm going to be needing the one with the cable then.

Yep, have spoken with emu - keep me posted please mate. I think I have managed to source one by without a key (and I'll need to trasnfer over m own lock barrel), so it may or may not work but fingers crossed.

Edited by JMC

If you don't use the key to lock the doors then there is no reason you can't use a non-central locking handle, as Emu said, the only thing the wiring on the door handle does is give a signal to the central locking brain to activate the vacuum pump and shut the window (& sunroof depending on year). It is only a microswitch or two in the door handle so you might be able to retrofit the electrical gubins from the old handle onto a new non-central locking one.

You could always use the passenger door lock to lock the car occasionally as well..

If you already have the door handle repair kit from this forum http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?10426-Door-handle-repair-kit-THEY-ARE-NOW-AVAILABLE&highlight=door+handle+repair and you are not interested in key entry, then the B3 Passat rear door handles are readily available for very little money : -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-PASSAT-B3-35i-88-93-REAR-DOOR-HANDLE-RH-/170280369433?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27a5803d19#ht_1157wt_952

I bought a rear right hand handle from this Polish ebay seller and the delivery was fast and for £12.49 delivered really bloody cheap!

Recent update!

In fact just after writing this I have ordered a LH door handle as well :) has been getting a little sticky and fed up of reminding passenger they have to make sure it closes before getting in!

Edited by g60karmann