NewbridgeJob

Oil Change for noisy chains??

I've had my chains done less than 1,000 miles ago with new tensioner pads, rails, bolt etc etc but the chains are still noisy. Its nice on tick over and only really rattles at 2,000 revs or so.

I've had it over lilfuzzers place and he reckons an oil change is in order which seems about right.

But whats the best oil to use to try and shut them the hell up. I was thinking a semi-synthetic maybe as a fully synthetic oil would be a bit too thick to get around all the chains well to quieten them down..

Any help is appreciated and if you can give me brand names of decent oils that'd be good.

are you sure its the chains causing the noise? Where is the noise coming from? Its not the big end shell bearings, by any chance is it? Not a hard job to do or time consuming, but the prep takes time. Noise will come at around 2000 rpm and then stop at around 2500.

Out of curiosity fla do you tend to notice this noise towards the left hand side of the block rather than the right where the chains are? Mine does exactly this.. I get a sort of ticking like noisy chains that comes in at almost exactly 2,000RPM and seems to vanish once you rev past 2,500RPM as you describe!

Graham from DG reckons tappets - I don't doubt him for a second as he knows the VR inside out! But the fact you mention the noise at those specific revs has peaked my interest a bit...

Yeah mate definitely the chains, id know if it was big end bearings ive had that before.

Plus you can hear them from inside the casing. Chances are they've just put basic oil back in when they've done the chains and thats probably causing the issue.

I'd obviously change the oil filter too but just need to know the best oil to use

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

Out of curiosity fla do you tend to notice this noise towards the left hand side of the block rather than the right where the chains are? Mine does exactly this.. I get a sort of ticking like noisy chains that comes in at almost exactly 2,000RPM and seems to vanish once you rev past 2,500RPM as you describe!

Graham from DG reckons tappets - I don't doubt him for a second as he knows the VR inside out! But the fact you mention the noise at those specific revs has peaked my interest a bit...

If its on the left hand side of the block as you look at it then i'd suggest it was tappets too. I used to have a 1.8T A4 which had the same issue and it was coming from that side, sounds very similar to chains but slighty less rattley

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

Thinking of trying out a silkolene 10w50. Heard its nice on the engine and reduces the noise

Any advance on this?

i'd stick with Graham's diagnosis, he's far more knowledgable than me! With the big end bearings, you'll hear it more in the exhaust or under the sump and usually under load. Sounds quite loud and intrusive though, especially if you accelerate hard sounds like very loud marbles.