AJ_EQ

Insurance Modification Declarations

Am actually looking to insure a mk4 1.8t, im looking to buy, but it has a fair few mods on it and I might have the tendancy to add a few more. I sit slap bang in the middle of the 18-25 catergory, so one false mod and there goes the premium.

The car in question was a 1.8t 150bhp standard. Now has been lowered (not much), turbo upgrade to ko3s with remap (208bhp), upgrade waterpump, new clutch (maybe not oem), new alloys, milltech exhaust system, forge dv.

All looks standard though, which is what I like.

The guy im buying off is selling to me with new stainless enlarged manifold, VR6 throttle body, 4 bar fuel reg and uprated intercooler kit.

Would it be ok to declare to insurance company, that my car already has the future mods on it, so I dont have to faff and pay stupid money for it later?

what timescale are you looking to fit the extra parts? if its gonna be months then i wouldnt. but if a couple of weeks then i would be tempted to declar them first.

but you never know what could happen in the mean time.

Well my trail of thought was along the lines of, they can obviously void your insurance if you put parts without declaring them. But could they really turn around and void it if you havnt put the part in and the therefore the car is standard? It would probably be a month or so before I got around to putting the parts on, then I would stage 2 remap it as well.

I just know insurance companies dont like you (especially people my age), changing things on the car, particularly performance components and might not continue to insure you. But if the car already "has" the mods then they cant really say no to insure a car which you have done no work on. Rang up my current insurance company yesterday and if I bought said car and modded it in the future, how would this work. They just got all hot under the collar, recommended I didnt do anything as they may not be able to insure me.