Wullie

No power to blower - 16v

After doing a bit of work on the C the heater blower has ceased to blow and the dash temp guage ceased to register. I have checked the fuses and the all seem OK. Checked the fuse socket with a multimeter but don't seem to have any power there. Is there any other thing I could check (other fuse somewhere or a relay?), as I don't fancy disturbing the fuse box at the moment as I need the car as a daily.

Alternatively, is there somewhere I could pick up a switched 12v supply from that I could wire into the blower switch as a temporary measure until a get a few days off?

Don't know if the temp guage is related. Checked the sender but it's OK. That may be a broken wire somewhere in the bay.

Any ideas appreciated as it chucking it down with rain and the screen is misting up and I can't clear it without opening a window and having a shower.

Crank bolt, timing belt, thermostat, dizzy cover and rotor. I had a poke around behind the drivers side suspension turret which is just a solid mass of wires, intending to check the condition of the brake servo which I haven't really seen since I bought the car. Because of this I didn't do much and stopped poking. Didn't move anyhing enough to pull a lug out though. Knowing my luck I'll have broken something though.

Working! But I don't know how. Messed about today disconnecring things, cleaning things and generally swearing at things. Multimeter seens to work when it wants to and generally led me astray. Took out the heater motor, poked it, sprayed it, swore at it. Put the whole thing back together and it worked. Now to try and remember the magic cussword.

does the fan work well or is it a bit lacking in power?, I noticed that if the motor bearings are worn and a bit stiff and one of the motor windings lets go it will still work, and on all speeds, but not as strongly, and will be more likely to stall and not spin up at all.

The fan is blowing strongly now. I'm assuming my earlier lack of power diagnosis was down to the multimeter problem, it's that old it runs on steam. I can only assume it was a poor connection at the motor plug or fan switch. Need to track back the water temp gauge wiring from the sender end now while trying assorted cusswords to try and find the magic one.

Temp gauge working now. It kind of went sender, cable, lot's and lot's of tape. Under the tape it continued, Scotchlock, cable, tape, Scotchlock, cable, female connector, male connector, original cable. One of the Scotchlock connections had fell apart. Problem solved. I think the previous owner had shares in a connector business.

What I did notice was that the original loom covering is a kind of plastic tube which has hardened over the years. The edge of this has started cutting into the cable insulation where the wires exit from it. Temporarily cut it back taped it and the wires up to prevent any further chafing, another job for the summer.

i have a smiliar problem with my corrado, i bought it last week, the heaters are not working in the car but that fan under the bonnet is working, any help or tips?

What model and year is it? There are different heater controls with their own problems. You could check the fuse if it's the blower thats not working, No 6 on a KR. The fuses are listed on the bottom of the fuse box cover so worth a check. If yours is a later model with rotary controls there a load of info already on here so a search will throw up a load of possible solutions. Best of luck.

Wullie