Andy-H

Idle issues

Evening all.

Just fitted a new ISV on my 9a and I'm having issues with the tickover. It's running a little high and also when I accellerate and shut off to change gear, the revs take a little while to drop, but not all the time.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy, I had the same problems, but unfortunately i can't say i have a happy solution, mine was adjusted many times, often giving good results only for the issues to reappear at a later date, I gave up in the end and the Phirm converted my management to ABF which made a huge difference; a large power gain, smoother, better MPG and no idle or starting issues at all!

sorry i couldn't help, i'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon.

Oh poo :-( . I was hoping it was going to be an easy fix. Thanks for the info. Did you just have a remap then?? Didn't know that would work.

this could be caused by an air leak. if you've already checked all vac pipes + intake pipe, then the idle screw+o ring is likely to be the cause. take it apart and inspect it (mine was knackered). 5minute job ;)

My 16v was running terrible, same sort of problems. I took mine to Stealth for a rolling road tune that sorted it out, its running perfect now

My 16v was running terrible, same sort of problems. I took mine to Stealth for a rolling road tune that sorted it out, its running perfect now

Was that an expensive thing to do ?? Also, where should I be looking for the idle screw?? never had any dealings.

from experience it's well worth it getting the car on the rollers and set up by someone who is familiar with that engine. you'll hopefully get it sorted and with more power and economy

this could be caused by an air leak. if you've already checked all vac pipes + intake pipe, then the idle screw+o ring is likely to be the cause. take it apart and inspect it (mine was knackered). 5minute job ;)

check it out, it's free...

the idle screw is located in the throttle body itself. You'll find it by looking at the engine from the front of the car. take it out and inspect. Then, drop it back in and adjust the idle at 900-1000rpm while you're there. I've found that mine is OK at 900, except in summer when I have to set it at 1000 (otherway it'll stall when aircon is ON).

While you're there, check that the TB microswitch is being correctly activated. you should hear a "click" right when you open/close the throttle body. this may cause your issue as well. If any adjusting is needed, it's held in place by two little screws.

Cheers for that, I'll have a look at that tomorrow afternoon. going to go through all the breathers etc. as well while I'm at it :)

Was that an expensive thing to do ?? Also, where should I be looking for the idle screw?? never had any dealings.

No it wasn't expensive, it cost about £65 from memory. Full before and after print outs. Considering my car is nearly 21years old now, its bhp has gone up by around 10bhp.