VWVW

Front end bolt torque settings

Hi Chaps

Anyone know the torque settings on a vr6 for bolts 5, 6, and 7 thats on the diagram

thanks in advance

Not the clearest to find.

5 85Nm

6 25Nm

7 Can't find listed. The text implies 85Nm (My view 85Nm if its the same diameter bolt as 5.

M10, in that case its 85Nm As it states tighten all engine carrier to bumper mounting to 85NM and "5" is also M10.

...oops think I may have sheered bolt number 7. Can anyone confirm it should be 85NM. Gonna try and drill it out

cheers chaps

Said it wasn't clear in the VW manuals.

Bummer.

Looks like all three 5, 6 & 7 are 25Nm despite differences in bolt diameter but its NOT VERY CLEAR in the text that its refering to all three bolts!. The wording is not clear in VWs blue book and it only becomes apparent in another sub - manual. That one refers to bolts at 85Nm that are the bumper bracket - 2 x 2 bolts.

Apologies.

No worries mate...Managed to get the sheered bolt off after an hour. Drilling was no good. I was lucky in that I had a small kink in the sheered bolt and used a srewdriver on it it as leverage forcing the thread to spin millimeter by milemeter just get enough thread out of the hole so that there was enough for the Erwin bolt gripper to grip. Phewww...!!! I ve just hand tighten everything at the moment

so just to confirm all three bolts 5, 6, 7 are 25NM

Bumper bracket bolts are main elements in the cross-member though, the stubby one (number 7) is just to locate the radiator panel I think.

No luck in bentley, can't see those torque settings in there either. If anyone has a Mk2 Golf Haynes, that will probably have it in.

Checked the Haynes Passat, that states 80Nm - 59 lbf/ft

The centre one is definitely 25NM in the VW Corrado Blue manual but it doesn't show the outer two bolts 5 & 7. But reading the text its plural. So does that mean either side "6" or all six bolts????

" Install engine carrier -4- and tighten securing bolts -3- to 25Nm"

Where -4- is the end of the engine carrier frame and -3- is a centre bolt only shown, bolt "6".

It then states "Tighten engine carrier/bumper securing bolts to 85Nm" with no reference to a diagram.

As the whole instruction is about renewing the rubber inserts, it make no mention of removing the bumper in whose diagram it shows two bolts each side at 80Nm. Nor does the whole section which is VR6 engine removal.

So, I read it as the centre bolt "6" is a pilot holding bolt and the second VW statement above is the two outer bolts 5 & 7 on each side. Plus this cross member is an integral part of the Corrado's front strength and 80Nm does not surprise me for that reason.

Sure the bolt wasn't corroded round the neck area which may have weakened it?

Yes as boostmonkey says, the stubby bolt (number 7) is just to locate the radiator panel. There are 2 of these

The bumper bolts. There are 4 of these are No 5 in the diagram

The engine bolt is No 6 in the diagram there are 2 of these.

The bolt that sheered number 7 was a brand new bolt.

These bolts must have been done to death by others who have taken their bumpers off before...Someone must have a torque settings for them :)

As I said above it should be 60Nm according to my info, all this bolt does is hold the radiator carrier to the car, nothing structural.

The only ones that are 85Nm are the bumber bracket bolts number 5 as they carry the front engine load.

I think VAG may have had a dodgy batch of bolts though as Chris 2cc also had one fail, his were the new type of bolt with a smaller 18mm head as opposed to the 19mm original but I have also used these and the ones I've had were fine... strength should be 10.9

Part number is the same but you'll see the length is 1mm more than the original item - I think because of this I would do up no tighter than 45Nm, it won't go anywhere...

Edited by Supercharged

I think VAG may have had a dodgy batch of bolts though as Chris 2cc also had one fail, his were the new type of bolt with a smaller 18mm head as opposed to the 19mm original but I have also used these and the ones I've had were fine... strength should be 10.9

Cheers supercharged...now that you mentioned it I ve just checked...the stubby one is the new type of bolt with a smaller 18mm head Strength is still 10.9 as stamped on top of the bolt.

No worries - I'd also add that the ones I've had are the newer type green coated bolts that VW supply and have been fine.

The one above that sheared is 18mm like yours but had the yellow coating like the originals - was yours the same and same make?

to be fair mine sheared due to wrong torque setting...It has the yellow coating like the original. stamped APU 10.9. Here is a pic for your reference.

Also, what is the blue Corrado manual?

Official Corrado VW workshop manuals that were always were supplied in bright blue plastic folders.

@ Steve, found the same high torque in the 1994 VR6 Passat arrangement in VW's Passat manual. In that manual it points to... and shows all three 5, 6 & 7 at 80Nm!

Trouble is.... if VW change the part 15 years later the manuals are not updated if the torque limits change. Bit naughty really as the bolt should be upto the orginal design requirement or better not less.

I think VAG have changed a lot of the strengths of their bolts. I remember when the front bottom ball joint bolt (holding ball joint into hub.housing) changed size completely! It went to 16mm from 17mm, or 17mm from 18mm. Something like that.