VW_OwneR_85

Vr6 Arb bush replacement...

hello, i want to replace my front arb bushs, iv replaced them on a mk4 golf before but on the corrado the mounting seems to be sandwhiched inbetween some plates {drivers side} didnt realy want to fiddle with that at the time,as i was already delayed by replaceing the wishbone with upgraded r32 bushs and new droplinks,track rod end, would be nice to finish off the drivers side, lol i jumped straight in, didnt realise you have to lift the engine for the sump to clear to wishbone bolt :( all done now tho, the passenger side should be a breeze :)

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

lol i guess i better include a question if i want an answer, whats the crack with replaceing the bushs? gota remove stuff etc? cheers.

yea thought it was the subframe,wasnt 100% tho, do you think its possible to drop it slightly to replace them bushs without removing and disconnecting other things? there not badly worn, i get a slight knock every now n then, its just i brought them thinking they would be as easy to replace as a mk4 golf, oh how wrong can i be....

I replaced every bush and joint on the front of my 16v, the arb ones only got changed for completeness but were probably the trickiest.

I had the front of the subframe and the front sill jacking points on axle stands and supported the rear of the subframe with a trolley jack, one which is easy to control whilst lowering. Have some blocks of wood an inch or so below the back of the subframe at all times, just in case.

Although you're only lowering the frame an inch or so the top of the engine will move a fair way so make sure there are no wires or hoses that will get pulled, this was'nt an issue on my 16v.

Once you're all set up undo the bolts on the back of the subframe, slightly loosen the front ones and lower away. It'll still be tight, but doable. Have some washing up liquid on hand to help slip the new bushes in and Bob's your mothers brother.

Oh and make sure the wishbone ends of the arb are up above the wishbones before you clamp it all up.

I speak from experience..

Edited by Ralphead

shouldn't be too bad, only need to drop the subframe a little if you want to replace the little bush brackets too IIRC, I did the 8v last autumn, 16v ones a few years back, same on VR AFAIK

like the mk4, it helps to have a G clamp or similar to clamp the bush bracket down to get the bolt in.

ah cheers guys, yea i know what you mean about the g clamp thing dave, on the mk4 i used water pump pliers and they compressed the bushing & bracket an absolute treat!