James14100

G60 solid tensioner

Hi,

My belt tensioner is started to look a little tired and i've noticed occasionally the battery light flickering, i think this is because the belt is slipping on the alternator thus not creating enough power.

Are the solid tensioners worth getting or is replacing the tensioning spring the way to go?

Cheers,

James

i personally wont go with a solid tensioner as they dont adapt to the belt stretching over time,cold mornings,hot summers and any play in bearings.To me theyre more trouble than what theyre worth,VW didnt go to the trouble of designing a tensioner for g60 for nothing.

Change the belt for starters,belt could be excessively worn.Then look at the brushes for the alternator,they sound like theyre on theyre last legs.

By all means,if the tension damper is leaking oil,replace it.

is the belt the right size?im running standard belt on a 70mm pulley with no problems(maybe little top end belt slip)

I think so. I'm running a 68mm pulley but not changed the belt from the 'kit' one so presumed it's fine. What length should it be?

yep,belts are consumable items so they really need to be changed every couple of years.

on a different note,youve de-wedged your throttle body.has this affected driveabilty much?im in the process of doing mine but i heard it makes the throttle quite querky?

I would check the brushes anyways mate, this is exactly what my alternator was doing and it was the brushes in the end.

In fact, I swapped the brushes with some genuine Bosch ones and it was fine after that. The whole dash used to kind of pulse! lol.

Also, if the belt was slipping you would hear it squeal. So i'm guessing you know whether or not this is the case.

Edited by boost monkey

@ Danny

Yeah dewedging has been interesting. On my brothers G40 we fully ported to 51 mm then re manufactured some butterflies with no wedges and no bolts through them. This made the G40 throttle like a motorbike in terms of the way it revs. It's just so fast. So we've done a similar thing on the G60 and the result is a very fast opening throttle and at first it's difficult but now I don't even bat an eyelid at it. It's just something you need to get used to.

@ monkey

Yeah thats what this seems to be doing. At night with the lights on it's like it's pulsing. I tried some 'belt grip spray' like a glue to prevent belt slip and this helped it for about a day but it's back to it's old tricks. VW used to sell the bushes kit for about a tenner if I remember. Is this still the case?