RowanVW

Putting a whole ABF into my Corrado, not running K-Jet, might interest people!

As far as i can tell this is rarely done and i am yet to find a completed example by using the search function, most people put the KR head and Kjet on an ABF bottom end, but because my loom has been ruined i cant do this.

I have absolutely everything from the donor MK3 including engine, mounts, full loom, key, barrel and immoboliser etc.

What problems am I likely to run into? not including the clearance on the bonnet issue!

Will update this tommorow as i start the conversion!

If its from a Mk3 Golf then the engine and headlight loom will be intergrated into one, unlike the Corrado where the two are seperate. Your biggest problem, electrically speaking will be separating the loom and making sure you keep the right bits.

Other than that I think it should be pretty much plug and play. Obviously you'll need to wire in the immobiliser unless you have it defeated. Wiring it in is very easy though to be honest, I've just done it on my TDi conversion. It did take a couple of attempts but now I've sorted it I can't understand how I got it wrong :lol:

I'm sure you'll find plenty of little things that don't fit, but thats half of the fun of an engine conversion in my opinion :)

Good luck!

Haha thats great. Cheers, i'll have a read through your thread in a bit, just put it in it was fairly straightforward! =]

You'll soon be joining the rest of us who have realised that renting a crane when you own a Corrado is a false economy, and will be looking to buy one! :D

ABF on ABF management in a Corrado, very nice, remapped it'll do over 160bhp any day and a good torque spread and good economy, will really suit the weight, handling and general 'feel' of the Corrado I reckon.

Haha I will buy one when i get the chance! Yeah I couldn't find a clear cut example of it done on this forum, but its done on mk2 golfs quite alot!

Should be great if i get it sorted! The engine is in now, just need service it and sort out the loom!

6b0daea4.jpg

65067dae.jpg

c9922dab.jpg

1ef5241f.jpg

Anyone who is interested in this, i swapped the front mount off the KR and the rear bracket from the block and kept the same mounts on the chassis, and the gearbox mounting doesn't need changing at all. Fairly straightforward!

Did this conversion a couple years back. Used an ABF out of a Passat so din't even have to mess with the loom if I remember correctly. No real issues at all, it really was that simple. You'll need a different airbox, maybe a Seat ABF one or a cone filter. There were no clearance issues with the bonnet (late type).

14062008021.jpg[/img]

Update:

Gave the engine a service first which was straightforward apart from the slight difference between the ABF and KR crank pulleys which is one to look out for when doing timing belts

Also i have had to take the whole sump off and buy a new one, the bolt was rounded, all the usual tricks WD40, heat, hammering a small socket on and molegrips + hammer have failed, i even tried turning the whole sump around the bolt in a vice; no joy!

Anyway, had to work something out for the airbox as the Golf MK3 one is huge! So by combining parts from both to get the warm air at start up system and air flow meter in I had to do some minor fabricating and it all fits quite well!

All of the wiring is in one loom which is nice compared to the Corrado but slipping it down the small gap round the back of the brake servo takes some patience even with the servo loosened completely.

So all of the wiring is in at the front and I am currently working the headlights into the ABF loom, I have also used the Golf GTI indicator stalks which are plug and play!

Hope to get it started and finish getting the interior loom sorted, when I next get some free time from work and uni!

3a684449.jpg

80accb69.jpg

035f05b5.jpg

95b919bf.jpg

5dab2a71.jpg

d622610a.jpg

f79217e3.jpg

1b817e39.jpg

1f263f6d.jpg

56b53d51.jpg

:)

Edited by RowanVW

Update as much for my own reference as other peoples:

So with two looms and one fusebox here is whats being kept from what:

A1 - ABF - Left light harness

A2 - ABF - Right light harness

B - N/A Headlight washers

C - ABF - Engine wiring and fluid sensors

D - KR - Heated wing mirrors

E - ABF - Instrument and immobiliser circuit + brake sensor

F - ABF - Engine management

G1 - ABF - Engine management

G2 - ABF - Engine management

H1 - ABF - Column harness

H2 - ABF - Column harness

J - ABF - Column Harness

K - KR - Rear wiring harness

L - KR - Interior harness

M - KR - Fuel harness

N - N/A - Air con

P - KR - Fogs and heated rear windscreen

Q - ABF - Dash misc, lighter and heated motor

R - KR - Light switch

S - ABF Wipers

T - N/A - Euro harness

U1 - ABF - Instrument cluster

U2 - ABF - instrument cluster

V - ABF - MFA

W - N/A - ABS

X - N/A - Extra warning lights ABS and Airbags

Y - Y4 - ABF, Battery Power

30 - Fuel power

Z1 - N/A glow plugs

30B - Fuel power

Z2 - ABF - battery ground

Fusebox -

1 N/A Air Con

2 Rear wiper relay - 72

3 Motronic - 30

4 Load reduction relay - 18

5 Low coolant control - 43

6 Flashers - 21

7 N/A - headlight washers

8 Wash/Wipers - 99

9 N/A - seatbelt warning

10 Fogs - 53

11 Horn - 53

12 Fuel pump relay - 167

So now i just need to tidy the inevitable odd few loose wires and should hopefully start it/ test the loom over the weekend!

For those who agree a picture says a thousand words:

The situation inside

e120c9b4.jpg

Just part of the leftover wiring

f0e6d242.jpg

Haha cheers, I admit many won't like it so far but the overall finished product should be good, black with anthracite wheels im thinking and red detailing.

The colour is actually VHT red paint! makes a nice contrast i think!

Car has been pretty much finished, passed MOT today, feels fantastic to drive :)

1523f566.jpg

9362f968.jpg

Loving it

I did this a few months ago too, Ran everything from the ABF..

For future reference, you don't need to take the dash out, or change ignition barrels etc,

Just engine swap and plug the engine connectors into the back of the fuse box :) Jobs a goddun!

My write up:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?52974-T700bes-Official-Build-Thread-Corrado-ABF

Cheers, yeah I know but the car didn't come with a dash or interior, would have been scrapped If I didn't sort it I reckon!

Yeah was a massive challenge, my girlfriend hates the car because I've spent so much time in the garage lol. Great when it's gets over 4k as I've got a pre-cat car and straight through exhaust!