ollieVR

Droning Noise under braking

Hello

I've got a bit stuck with identifying a noise under braking on my Corrado VR6.

Under braking from above 20mph (ish) I get a droning noise from the n/s front wheel which is louder with heavier braking. I've just replaced the outer CV joint as the grease had all leaked out but the noise is still there. (doesn't seem to be as bad though).

Pads and discs look OK, however I have taken the pads out of the caliper yet.

Is this a wheel bearing problem or a braking problem? Reading the other posts about wheel bearings people describe a droning noise getting louder with speed. This doesn't happen for me.

Hope you can help? I'm getting a bit bored of driving the mrs's car to work.

Cheers

drive the car down the road and swing it from side to side so it transfers all the weight onto one side each time it u get a drone or it gets louder when u do that u probably got a wheel bearing going

brakes,

you need to take the pads out and check everything is free, pads, caliper piston movement.

Possible the pads got contaminated by cv grease sprayed about and onto the disks, might need to replace them.

Steve, Thanks for the reply. Tested the swerving side to side earlier and the car was smooth and quiet so I think I can rule out bearings.

David, good shout on the Pads being contaminated!! That'll be tomorrows job now.

Cheers for the help guys!

Just to update this, I've taken the pads out and they were very glazed. Gave them a good scrub with some sandpaper, re-greased and re-fitted. The noise has pretty much gone now.

A free fix!